What kind of player is your daughter?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Reading this thread, it seems that we as parents have a pretty high opinion of our daughters. Which is the way it should be. :) Be proud. It's pretty cool what they're doing and how well they do it.

When I think back to when my daughter started playing softball at 7, I was just hoping she could put the ball in play, or stop a ground ball. Then there's the first time she catches a ball in the air in a game, or the first time she gets a clean single into the outfield, or an extra-base hit (or that ground ball HR to the pitcher). I remember the first all-star team she made. We were pretty rough. One of her teammates got a line-drive to CF vs. a ''real'' pitcher. I remember thinking that would be really cool if my daughter could ever do that, even once.

I think that if someone had shown me a video of what she was going to look like six years later, playing year-round at age 14, and the quality of play around her, I think I would've been half stunned, half thrilled beyond belief.

I have to remind myself of that when she's in a 1-for-9 stretch. It's pretty cool being the parent of a kid who has reached a certain level of proficiency doing a year-round sport. For the joy they give us, we should give them and their teammates standing ovations after every game.

Jul 22, 2013
My daughter can both frustrate and elate her coaches. The reason is she hits around .400 but not the 2/5 every day. She will go 1/9 and then just rip off a 7/11 to end up around her average. When she is on she can totally carry her team offensively with gap finding doubles and triples. Coach happy .. then 1/9 with groundouts and popouts and the coach wonders what the heck is happening. Its just the way she is and the smart coaches just let it be.

Defensively she can and will play any position you put her in and the team will not suffer a drop off. I used to worry that she never had a set position but now that was a blessing. She is a great teammate and kids are just drawn to her .. she is more of the informal leader type.

Apr 1, 2010
DD is a '00 rising hs freshman. My kid's the one nagging me to get my stuff together and get in the car, because she wants to be there early. She loves to play.

Cowdogz DD's description sounds something like her. She's usually very reserved--is more outgoing and confident/almost cocky in softball than anywhere else.

She's strong, but slower than most. Sees the ball well, hits hard, wants to hit--will swing aggressively even at the first pitch if she likes it and doesn't have a take sign, but has the patience to walk if she doesn't see strikes and is pretty good at staying back and waiting on the change. Good glove, good thrower, limited fielding range. Frames well, blocks well, tough behind the plate. Has good softball IQ. You want her in the lineup, but if she's your best option for middle infield, you are in bad, bad shape! :)

---------------

LOL, after saying all that, when we went to practice last night, we were down a middle infielder, so DD played second for initial fielding drills being done while pitchers warmed up. It wasn't bad. She turned the double plays very nicely, although naturally it's easier when you know where the ball's coming ahead of time. The girls did relay races at the end of practice and matched who they felt were two slower girls (than DD!) against each other and slotted her against one of our pitchers who slaps. She kept it darn close, which amazed me.

We were talking over dinner last night and she said that before she started the high school conditioning, she hadn't realized she was so strong. (Up till now, she's always been doing her conditioning with TB teammates, so they were her basis for comparison.)

Last edited:
May 18, 2009
My DD has a great attitude. She does what's she's asked to do. She's a smart player and knows where to go with the ball. She usually bats #2 and has a high OBP. She isn't a power hitter. She plays 3 positions, 1st, SS, and P. She isn't the fastest pitcher but wins games with location and speed change. She needs to slide more often while running bases. She usually relies on her speed to beat out the throw. She can make hard fielding situations look routine and routine fielding situations look hard. Has tendency to commit to early on some plays while playing SS(1st yr). Has the right mental make up for pitching. Doesn't get rattled after giving up a hit or a score. Often called into the circle if other pitchers are struggling. She's fast. Beats out a lot of throws to first.

Jun 19, 2013
This is interesting. I think about my DD's skills a lot already but to put it into a few words is challenging.

My DD is usually the first to show up for practice even though we live the farthest away. She is the first to hustle out to shag balls or go get equipment for the coaches/team. She is the last one out of the dugout because she goes back and picks up the garbage and the water bottles. She keeps her head held high even if she is on the bench for most of a game. She always cheers for her team. She never cries or asks to be taken out but waits until we get home to show me the bruises or blood and ask for ice. She works out on her own almost every day when she doesn't have practice or a game. She is determined. Loves to be in the circle and will give 100% in there.

But I don't think my glasses are rose colored because she isn't the best on the team by far. She plays OF, 3B and P. She has only been playing 2 years compared to 6 for rest of the team and it shows in lots of little things - struggles tracking a ball over her head, knowing how far it's safe to get off the base, where to run to avoid interference, how to place her feet to help get the throw where it needs to go. Her bat speed is slower than most of the team. Her pitching speed is just slightly below the other pitchers. She is the only one learning I/R and that has been a huge challenge this spring, but it seems to be clicking. Her drop ball no longer drops, and her change-up is not slow enough right now and her rise ball is too slow to fool anyone.

But she loves this game. And I enjoy watching her grow and work and develop confidence and skills that she didn't have before. Just hope to find a good team fit for next year where she can continue to improve and the drama is minimal :)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
9yo DD - Her best skills are fielding, throwing, and in-game smarts (making good decisions). She can play anywhere competently or better (except pitcher), but gets the most enjoyment out of being in battle-gear behind the plate. She not the fastest base-runner, but a long way from the slowest. She succeeds on the bases with good timing, very good sliding technique, and all-in commitment to get the the next base. Physically, her weakness is hitting for power - although sometimes she can uncork a very solid drive - and striking out a bit too often (watching borderline pitches that get called for strikes is her usual downfall). Mentally, she's still a bit fragile, and often melts down emotionally after an error or strikeout, which can affect her play in the next half of the inning. When things are going well for her, she's enthusiastic, cheerful, and a leader on the field.

15yo DD - Her greatest assets are her throwing arm, her quickness, and her work ethic. As a pitcher, she is still new, but improving steadily. As a fielder, she is most comfortable at 2B, but has the skills to play every position (except catcher) competently. She hits for good average, but doesn't have the power to drive to the fence. She's a fast and intelligent base-runner, and enjoys challenging the defense. Her weakness is her attitude. 90% of the time she's a great teammate, and a positive example, but sometimes she gets wrapped up in bitterness about a situation, and will spew it at her teammates.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Has some natural talent, but getting a late start as an '01 player. Just started TB and still has the look of a good rec player. Been pitching for 14 months and can "hold her own". Not an Ace, but is working to improve.

Strong, 5'3" 145lbs, with average speed. Above average arm. Good infielder. Plays a little robotic when she has time to think. Looks like an all star on sharp hit balls to her. Started playing OF this summer and has taken to it pretty well. Still learning how to judge balls on long runs, but catches well when she gets there.

Team player. Only attitude is with her parents. :)

Below average batter. Still not using her lower body. Will start individual batting lesson after summer season. Can hit it hard with poor mechanics. Not a good 2 strike hitter. Has trouble judging the outside strike zone. Smart base runner. Has turned into a pretty good bunter.

She will be on time. She will be at practices. She will work outside of practices. She has parents that sit off to the side and keep their mouth shut except for cheering. Her Dad does love to talk softball, so be cautious about giving him your number. :)

Jul 2, 2013
Great, great thread.

THE most important thing for parents is to ACCURATELY appraise their DD's ability and potential.

It is the foundation for her future, where your money is placed, and how to maximize both.

Softball is the most wonderful game in the world. It gives the DD's the best lessons in life. It will also take from folks who think their DD is better than she is. This hurts, it costs money. And it is just not physical, but mostly mental.

As a parent ... be objective ... analyze your DD. Place her correctly. That is the one thing Parents can do, and one of the most important (after practicing like crazy when young) to get your DD on the best footing for the future.

For example. My DD is at the top 20%. Enough to get offers. She is not the top 5%, mostly because mentally, she is not. Recognize this, for example. Structure her future around it. Conserve family money to account for this.

Though the top 5% may get angry at you. Possibly threaten, because they know who you are, and think they can back you down away from your own internal happiness. Because they think they are better. Well guess what ... they are of the top 5% ... and they are better. This is not for me to argue.

But I do not back down from pride and happiness. The top 5% can have theirs. I will be the first to congratulate them. In fact, I do not talk down to anyone.

But I represent the rest. Possibly the bottom 95%.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
DD strengths: great hitting, rarely strikes out (just 3K's) for all of All-stars, never goes down looking lol. She is a great buntter but never grts the call from coaches (you risk a possible homerun for an almost guaranteed out). She can always make contact with the ball. Great Catcher, total wall, strong arm but sometimes erratic. Solid First Baseman, plays a good 3rd basemen. She works hard, LOVES catching. Great field knowledge, and understands the game. Really makes mental mistakes when in possession of the ball. Great attitude, just a great kid.

Weakness: SLOOOOOW, she is always the slowest runner on her team but ALWAYS has the best OBP (go figure). (We joke around and say that she has developed a bad case of catchers leg) She is usually the best catcher on her team which helps cause she gets a courtesy runner. Take catching away and she becomes a slightly above average 1st/3rd basemen and a little below average middle infielder but a huge liability on the bases.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves