What is wrong with USSSA in eastern MO

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2012
The St. Louis area director has lost his mind. Among other things, last year he allowed subs in a closed roster state tournament with girls that had played in the same tournament. Then allowed older girls to play down...in the same tournament. Now this year starts out with an indoor tournament where he schedule 14U teams to play on Friday night starting at 10:15 pm, 12:15 am and 2:15 am on Saturday and then come back at 9:00 pm on Saturday. This is not a midnight madness tournament. I think he has truly lost his mind.

Dec 7, 2011
That's insane....

I would LOVE to hear the reasons on these weird decisions.

But somebody has got to be standing back and looking at what kind of debacle is being driven on the grand scale.

Feb 16, 2012
Several parents complained last year to the state director and all he did was send the complaints to the local guy. Nothing happened. Teams had already signed up and the schedule went out after 10 pm on Saturday. One other team has already pulled out and so are we. There a couple of teams coming in from out of town to play. I know ASA is trying to get back in here and this will open a wide door for them. We are going to pull out of all USSSA tournaments for this year. One parent said her daughter would be there but would be sleeping in the stands with her.

Jun 7, 2011
Central Iowa
Wow, that's really surprising. We traveled south to two USSSA tournaments in KC last year, in addition to Nationals in Branson; had nothing but good experiences, as far as I remember. Certainly nothing like you described; that would not be cool. Maybe the KC tourneys were Kansas USSSA?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sounds like it might sort itself out.

The Roster things you mentioned would upset me more then the playing times, but I would encorage my DD's Team to pull out even if we lost the entry fee.

Apr 9, 2012
Wow, that's really surprising. We traveled south to two USSSA tournaments in KC last year, in addition to Nationals in Branson; had nothing but good experiences, as far as I remember. Certainly nothing like you described; that would not be cool. Maybe the KC tourneys were Kansas USSSA?

The USSSA events around KC are MSP events with Jeremy McDowell VP of USSSA. They are always awesome events-ALWAYS!

It has to do with the director and his team.

Feb 16, 2012
We have played a couple of tournaments in the KC area and they were great. I would agree with ken that this is a regional thing and not USSSA as a whole...even in within MO lines. The director was extremely upset and tried using "it says early or late games may be played" clause. It didn't fly with our head coach. He offered a discount to get us to play...no dice. Our HC said he would put it to a team vote if he would guarantee that no games would be played after 11:00 pm or before 7:00 am. I think I am the lone dissenter saying no to the tournament. The only way to make him understand is to take away his money.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The best teams in our area generally do not play USSSA. Perhaps at the younger age groups, but when they get to 14U, 16U, 18U, not a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1