What is weight shift?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Maybe the distinction between center of pressure and center of mass is a better focus than trying to make a distinction between shift and transfer when they're really synonymous? I don't mean that in any negative way. It's enlightening to me as well.

COP is a lot easier to use than "ground reaction force location" - LOL.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
Here's Tewk's piece that was referenced in the first article from BodiTrak
Does Weight Actually Shift? - Hitting Daily -

Wiki link on center of pressure
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_pressure_(terrestrial_locomotion)
"In biomechanics, center of pressure (CoP) is the term given to the point of application of the ground reaction force vector. The ground reaction force vector represents the sum of all forces acting between a physical object and its supporting surface."

From the BodiTrak article
direct

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
The ground reaction force vector represents the sum of all forces acting between a physical object and its supporting surface."/QUOTE]

To be more accurate the COP is the average location of the pressure (force per unit area) the ground exerts on the feet (in this case). The total reaction force, found by integrating this pressure
over the total area of the feet (e.g. it is only a sum in the limiting case...), can then be said to be acting through this point, e.g. through the COP. So in other words if two feet with exactly the same surface area had exactly the same, constant pressure distribution on them,
the COP would be a point on the ground plane which is exactly, laterally, half way between the feet.

Last edited:
May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
To be more accurate the COP is the average location of the pressure (force per unit area) the ground exerts on the feet (in this case). The total reaction force, found by integrating this pressure
over the total area of the feet (e.g. it is only a sum in the limiting case...), can then be said to be acting through this point, e.g. through the COP. So in other words if two feet with exactly the same surface area had exactly the same, constant pressure distribution on them,
the COP would be a point on the ground plane which is exactly, laterally, half way between the feet.

I've been warned about wiki accuracy. I assumed it was more on the political stuff but what do I know? Certainly not enough to know better on a scientific point. Anyway, stick around, so you can explain the mechanical aspects to laymen like myself!

Last edited:
May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Shifting perhaps.

giphy.gif
[
giphy.gif

Question on this gif:
If the batter's separation at FBC (max load at toe touch) is this great,
with lead arm extended so far rearward,
can you still turn the barrel effectively? and not have a bat drag type swing?

I ask, because this looks a bit like my 14U DD;
and I'm just getting ready to drill this out of her a bit.
With arms/hands extended so far rearward,
it just doesn't seem like turning the barrel at swing initiation (vs. dropping barrel and dragging bat forward)
would be very natural.

Advice? Clarification?

Thank you.

Jun 8, 2016
Question on this gif:

I ask, because this looks a bit like my 14U DD;
and I'm just getting ready to drill this out of her a bit.

Thank you.
If your DD's swing looks like Roberto Clemente's I would say leave her alone :cool:

In all seriousness videos of her swing (if you haven't put them up already)
would help determine what, if anything, should be worked on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad