What is the purpose of the turn before the pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2017
Forgive my ignorance, bucket dad here just curious. I see alot of college pitchers start their "dance" with a slight turn before they start their pitch. Is there a purpose behind it, possibly helping to keep the mid section loose?

Jun 18, 2010
Many right handed pitchers turn toward 3rd base to get their grip on the ball. The turn is to try and keep the 3rd base coach from picking their pitch by seeing how they are gripping the ball.

Mar 22, 2017
Many right handed pitchers turn toward 3rd base to get their grip on the ball. The turn is to try and keep the 3rd base coach from picking their pitch by seeing how they are gripping the ball.

Thanks Kinghtsb, that makes sense.

Jun 18, 2010
Here is a video of Cheridan Hawkins from the 2015 WCWS.

She is a lefty, and turns towards 1st base and gets her grip on the ball with her glove hiding the grip.

LSU's Head Coach Beth Torina is good at picking pitches. She normally coaches 3rd base. I've seen her switch to coaching 1st base when facing lefty pitchers to pick pitches.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
Or college players have discovered if they do something that makes no sense, that we at DFP will start a thread on it and give us something to discuss. ;)

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
DD did it for a few weeks because she liked Jackie Traina. Gotta say, it was cool to see 8, 9 and 10 year olds chat about and mimic their favorite pitchers!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD did it for a few weeks because she liked Jackie Traina. Gotta say, it was cool to see 8, 9 and 10 year olds chat about and mimic their favorite pitchers!

Jackie Traina was the first pitcher I remember seeing do the 1/4 turn to start her wind up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors