What is she doing wrong?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I like the phrase, "slow to load; quick to explode." I think the explode part needs to be powerful. I like the cue of driving out hard with the backs of the hands and stride toe (JS refers to the stride knee). Watching mothgirl's DD drive, I see her head almost still until her arm is past 3 o'clock, whereas Ueno's head is moving forward before the explode even begins. Work on the drive and I think you'll see some improvement in speed.

Last edited:

Edy

May 24, 2010
Hips closed, legs not fully extended, circle path clear and right arm in front of the body

Hips closed.jpg

Hips closed, legs not fully extended, left arm jamming the circle path and right arm a little past the hips

hips closed 2.jpg

Gotta hold that right arm

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
This is my ideal for arm position at 3 o'clock:
JF.JPGKR.JPG

Backs of the hands driving hard together (then pulling down together...)

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Willy, thank you, when I posted this thread I though for sure the first thing people are going to tell me was "she's got no overlap" I know she has lots of other things working against her but my gut said fix the no overlap problem first. I'm going to have her look at the video with me and show her what I mean, we have talked about overlap and tried the push back and two step and she was getting a bit better, but then we stopped to work on getting her to stop pushing the ball. Thank you guys! We have lots to work on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Don't put a ball in her hand or have her pitch when first working on overlap. I've even got behind my girl and pushed her hips forward as she started her backswing. She needs to think hips, thrust the hips forward as the arm moves backwards.

Here's a decent analysis of Finch's drive mechanics.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
That Coache's Eye is your best friend in getting this done. Often the girls will swear to the high heavens they're doing it but the video will deliver the bad news so you don't have to. Load up a good example and then do the side-by-side comparison with her. She'll get it, she looks good in almost all aspects, just fix the overlap and you'll have fixed her sequencing issue. Again, foot has to leave the rubber by three o'clock. That is the key for a good powerful sequence. All the drive checkpoints will fall into place once that happens.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Willy--I love that clip from Coach White. Perfect for this thread. I've only seen one other he's done for Tony Aresco. Wish he had more out there.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Practice got canceled but maybe that's a good thing. I can work with her one on one. ok tonight just gonna try to get some good overlap with out the ball. The way I'm understanding it is get the hips thrusting forward while her arm starts going back, tried it myself, it was not easy I kept wanting to shoot my arms forward too soon cutting my backswing short or worse throwing my arm out to the side. I tried it with ball in hand, hope its easier without ball in hand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414