What is she doing wrong?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
It looks pretty good to me, but her velocity is down? Radar in March 50, radar last week 46, same gun same guy doing it. She looks better mechanically (to me anyway) then a few months ago yet she's slower? She's frustrated. PC recommends walk throughs, long toss and other drills. Pc says shes shortening her arm in the beginning of pitch not pushing forward just opening right away, I see what she means and I agree but she's been doing this for a very long time now and no closer to fixing it. Most of her time (at home) has been spent fixing the hello elbow push she was doing, I'm hoping that we can move to working more on her drive soon, but from what I have heard the leg drive shouldn't take that much away from her speed? Which is why I'm confused as to the slower speeds, her arm and ball position looks better but she's slower? The only thing I can think of is, she's not pitching the same in the game or or even at practice, which very well could be. I'll take video of her this weekend at tourney and compare to this one. Thanks
https://www.coachseye.com/v/TBz8
https://www.coachseye.com/v/VRNi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Is she throwing at 3/4 speed in the videos? I watched a few times and something about the way everything is timed just feels off. I ask because she is pitching on concrete and that can make a big deal of difference to a lot of players as pounding into the concrete rather than the ground is not ideal sometimes for these sorts of videos.

If not - and this is her motion - I believe it might be that she goes REALLY fast into the pitch at the beginning and then slows down significantly at the end. It is like she is putting on the brakes way too early and is not working against her front side at all. I know my DD can't stop her arm follow through as early your DD does. While the arm whip is meant to be smooth, it is still meant to be a powerful motion with a lot of energy behind it. I just don't see that type of power generated here.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
The thing that stands out to me is how quick she comes out of her lean...it's like "push off the plate and stand up"...watch where Littlejohn comes out of her lean vs. your DD

a5g9e9.gif

CP

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Thank you both, she was throwing full speed there. I keep thinking timing is off but don't know where to start.
yes both of those things she has been struggling with, the fast then slow and coming out of her lean and standing up. PC has pointed it out also but I think she's at a loss and, I have no idea how to help her fix it. Any ideas on what we should be working on that may help? Do u think throwing full distance, long distance or to a tarp short distance is better to starting working on these things? Walk throughs? Or 2step. Should I ask her to slow the beginning of her pitch down or do I focus on speeding the end up? Thanks again

Last edited:
have you tried having her pitch walk thru's for a drill ? to see the speed difference sometimes you will notice something little that has a few mph change between the throws. In my DD's case in most of the time it was always something little that made the difference. like how she holds the ball, 5 fingers vs 4 is she cupping the ball more etc. but keep a record of everything cause all those little variations of throwing can be implemented into the pitching for ex throwing a fastcurve vs throwing a offspeed curve and the only difference is how she is holding the ball.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2015
I agree with the PC AND chrispots. A before video would help I think. I pitched for 11 years, and I can tell you at being 5'0 tall, I lived on a good momentum rock and a strong, long stride. Is it possible she could add a little to her momentum rock, just to get her going? My PC always said the more leap, the more space you'll have to push with your back side, and the more speed. As for her short-lived lean, have her think of a roof over her head when she strides. The roof ends when the full pitching motion ends. Don't hit your head. Have her long toss every day. I found what works for my younger girls is full-out pitching from each long distance marker as opposed to walk-throughs. The point is to build their arm strength, and unfortunately when you do walk-throughs, you're working more lower body. Do weighted ball drills, too.

Does her decrease in speed have anything to do with endurance? Has she had time off or been focusing more on hitting, etc?

What exactly is she doing differently in games and practices? I'll keep an eye out for your video, but I'm thinking that could be the difference. Perfect practice makes perfect, and, well, not so perfect practice doesn't. Lol. You guys will get it straightened out! Pitchers need constant tuning.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
X- Her walk throughs are faster then her full pitch sometimes much faster. I don't have walk through on video. duh! Didn't even think to compare the two! Thank you!
Peach- long toss has def. helped in the past. We will go back to doing this. I'll tell her the roof thing. I agree working the momentum should help.

https://www.coachseye.com/v/VDNd
Here is a fast pitch from last month, you can see the shirt eatin grin on her face cuz she knew it was comin in hot, I just want to see her smile like that more!!!

Edy

May 24, 2010
Here goes my little piece of advice.

When it comes to arm circle, acceleration must be gradual. The peak of acceleration must happen at the last moment when ball is delivered.
To me she's russhing with her arm (and motion) at the beggining and slowing it down at delivery. When you do that, you can't avoid slowing the arm.. it happens naturally to balance timing.
That's why we have the impression she is throwing 3/4 speed.

Yet, the first reaction to slow speeds kids usually take is to rush with the arm even more... The down effect increases
I have seen this happen to many kids and I was able to identify this effect with myself too

So, ask her to think of constant acceleration. Start slow and keep accelerating increasing so when the arm gets to 9:00 - 10:00 she can bring it to delivery as fast as she can.
If possible, try to count the frames in each phase of the circle and you'll probably confirm this effect by yourself. Ideally, the number of frames in the last quarter should be considerably lower (thus faster) than the rest of the circle.

Just my two cents

Last edited:

Ball Game

Banned
May 8, 2015
Here goes my little piece of advice.

When it comes to arm circle, acceleration must be gradual. The peak of acceleration must happen at the last moment when ball is delivered.
To me she's russhing with her arm (and motion) at the beggining and slowing it down at delivery. When you do that, you can't avoid slowing the arm.. it happens naturally to balance timing.
That's why we have the impression she is throwing 3/4 speed.

Yet, the first reaction to slow speeds kids usually take is to rush with the arm even more... The down effect increases
I have seen this happen to many kids and I was able to identify this effect with myself too

So, ask her to think of constant acceleration. Start slow and keep accelerating increasing so when the arm gets to 9:00 - 10:00 she can bring it to delivery as fast as she can.
If possible, try to count the frames in each phase of the circle and you'll probably confirm this effect by yourself. Ideally, the number of frames in the last 3/4 should be considerably lower than the rest of the circle.

Just my two cents

I agree with this, That fast wind up stuff is a speed killer....Id definitely want to slow that backwards move down big time. She would be much better off with no rock, sway no negative move at all than what shes doing. I agree big time with the walk thrus...run throughs whatever.

I think maybe she isn't capable of exploding off the rubber at this time. Maybe some leg and core work to help the explosion, Sometimes you can do everything perfectly but if the strength isn't there it just isn't there! She looks like a strong and athletic kid ..maybe its just that negative poke back that's keeping her glued to the rubber! But whatever it is she isn't driving forward powerfully.

Last edited:
May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Her delivery keeps changing, she's trying to find what works for her, when she slows it down she slows everything down, when she speeds it up she goes fast to slow.

Im going to tell her to focus on constant acceleration tonight. I'll also mention roof overhead that you don't want to hit.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the good feedback! She's trying to get in shape, her core strength is good but needs to be better, I would say her flexibility in her hips is not good, and her ankles and calfs are weak. We started crossfit, but had to stop I just couldn't afford it. The high school is doing conditioning 3 days a week that starts Monday and she's been running 3 days a week in the morning. If she keeps it up I'm sure it will help.

I'll get some video tonight at practice, thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad