What happens when old men demonstrate slidebys

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Just had to share this photo. One week ago today I was explaining to our 14U Glory team about not sliding or running into a tag, especially at home. Instead, I said,*if the ball beats you there use a slideby.
Legsmall.jpg

Knowing, however, that many people learn better by seeing than hearing, I positioned a catcher at home with the ball, strolled up the third base line, and then took a run at the plate. (I was wearing shorts at the time, incidentally.) As I approached the catcher I got out wide, beyond her reach, executed the slideby and touched the plate with one finger. Safe!

When I stood up to review what I'd just done, one of the girls pointed out that I was bleeding. I didn't think much of it, but we took a break while I cleaned it off.

Turned out to be worse than I thought at first. In fact, the photo you see here is after a week of "healing." It's made for a great war story though, and it definitely demonstrated that I won't ask my players to do anything I wouldn't do.

Still, you'd think I'd know better. Old men, especially fat ones, and sliding are not a good combination. I have to think that the added weight didn't do me much good as I tried to "glide" across the infield dirt.

In any case, while it looks bad I am fine. I've been wearing two 3" x 4" gauze pads over the area for the last week, changing them each morning before I head to work. It's not as bad as it was, but I have a feeling I'll be showing this particular scrape in some form for a few more weeks. Oh well, all for a good cause.

More...

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Ouch! Glad you are healing fine. Speaking of slidebys, I have recently seen teams that do slidebys on virtually every steal. In most situations, would it not be better to just slide directly to the base/plate since it will take longer to get to the bag trying to slide "around" the tag?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
The fastest path to the base is straight in. If you think you can get there ahead of the ball, or under a tag, go straight in. If you think the ball will beat you there, or you might get tagged, do the slideby.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I concur.

Last summer, I had a group of 10 YO girls and 2 HS boys at the field and I was showing them, that a run down does not involve tossing the ball back and forth about 6 times.

I fielded the ball and started to run the player back to 1st base. At that point, I fell on my face! I skinned both elbows and both knees.

The fact that I had on tennies, probably played into it. I now wear turfs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck