What happens at the end of softball??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 17, 2020
Huntley, IL
My DD went through a tough injury last year and was out of the game for about 6 months. During that time obviously she was upset, could not play the game that she loves and was frustrated with the injury / PT. Good news is she is back playing and is health. During that time though, I got to thinking about what it will be like at the end of her playing days. If it is a serious injury that puts her out for good? Maybe she can't play at the level she wants and gives the game up? I am sure it is different for everyone.

Just looking for some advise from others that have gone through this to try and help my DD when that time comes, because it eventually happens to all of them.

Midwestdad

www.fastpitchsportsvideos.com

May 27, 2013
Without knowing your DD’s age I’m just going to assume we’re talking about what can happen post high school. Most colleges do have club and intramural level teams. Intramurals usually have both female and co-Ed teams which are a lot of fun, but more laid back than club.

Post-college I played on 4 different “beer league teams.” One co-Ed slow pitch, 2 all female slow pitch, and one women’s fastpitch team. Tons of fun and laid back enough that even after shoulder and knee injuries, I was still able to play.

Apr 28, 2014
I think it depends on the trajectory. If the end of softball is the last high school game then the player and family have known that for a while. Same would be true for a senior in college.
If the end comes from an injury which is always unexpected I would imagine that would be painful on many fronts. Another ending could come from poor performance which leads to walking away which is also painful.
We saw DD getting totally engulfed in softball last year. DW encouraged her to get a part time job and spend more time with friends. Not less softball just widen your horizons a bit. Like everything else in life time moves on. Good thread, will be interesting to see how others respond.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Everything in life has a beginning, a middle, and an end. That said, you can play this game in some form for a very long time...as long as your body will let you. I know people approaching 80 who are still pretty good at it.

Jun 8, 2016
After I quit playing in college I didn’t pick up a glove/bat/ball until my oldest started to play e.g. almost 20 years.

Jun 16, 2010
What happens at the end of softball??

You become a coach often.

My dd playing days ended 2 years ago.....just graduated gradschool......and shes the first to tell you how much she misses it.

It was incredibly hard schedule , made her a great student, took all her time, kept her out of trouble with bad influences, and she misses it every day. Being part of team, working for goal. Even going to morning workouts at 6am when its 20F outside.

I asked her what her best years were.....senior was immediate answer....because had a great season challenging for national championship.....but I asked most fun...teammate wise......freshman yr. they had a blast living together and learning everything new together. Young team with bunch of freshmen. Made her best friend /roommate she will ever have that year. Soon to be the godmother of that teammates 1st child.

Feb 12, 2014
This is something that I have been thinking about. DD is a HS senior and I coach her school ball team. My son is a 7th grader. DD will be off to play at a mid-major school and I will be stepping down as the school coach after this season so that I can devote my time more in my son's athletic pursuits and following her around the region/country as much as possible.

But, we're entering the last chapter, so this topic has been on my mind. Nearly every moment of my life for years outside of my job has been devoted to softball/baseball. It's a 365 day a year thing (with some Dad-mandated breaks worked in).

I think I'd like to get back into coaching school ball at some point. As a school teacher, it's a natural fit and would leave my summers free for vacations, pursuing a PhD, etc. I know for sure it will be a void when the kids are done with their careers. I truly enjoy watching them play.

Jul 12, 2019
If she has the right disposition, it would be great if she would become an umpire. Many umpires that I see are 70+.

While $30 per game isn't a ton of money, and you have to buy your gear, you can make what $300 on a weekend for many weekends per month, and do high school games.

That's decent "beer money."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles