What drives me crazy in young pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 27, 2014
DD been pitching for about a year. She went from a beginning step and throw motion to really flying off the rubber. We have tons of pictures from her early tournaments this year where both feet are off the ground, like pictured above. Just 10u so she never got called for illegal pitch since this does happen a lot with young pitchers. But, everyone agreed it was best to get her toe down a little sooner to be "legal" and not have to worry about anything at more important tournaments or something. She worked her tail off and now is a source of pride how legal she is with her toe while still getting off the rubber just as well, if not better.

In November dd did the U of O pitching clinic. Mike White worked with her for a bit, and then sends a video analysis where he split screens her motion with that of a top pitcher to compare where her motion is optimal, and where it is not. It is a very cool breakdown. He picked Cat Osterman since she is a lefty as well. In the beginning of Cat's motion, where Coach White paused, both feet are well off the ground. It took a bit of explaining before we could move on to the rest of the analysis. :p

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
I just wanted to add I see all these different pitchers doing things that are deemed "less then optimal" but they are still doing it way better then my dd is. If something is working for a kid that may be considered "less then optimal" maybe it's better left alone? I'm probably going to get lots of nasty flack for this post, but I'm just trying to say if it's working don't break it down, to fix it.

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

Jun 12, 2015
My shoe budget is in favor of dropping the toe drag rule. Though at this point the drag is probably so ingrained in mine it won't do any good anyway.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
My shoe budget is in favor of dropping the toe drag rule. Though at this point the drag is probably so ingrained in mine it won't do any good anyway.

Since my dd moved to Ringer cleats we go thru lot less pair of cleats!!! ....Plus she has lighted up her drag

Jun 12, 2015
We've got a pair of those for outside but the indoor practices kill her regular shoes very quickly.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
We've got a pair of those for outside but the indoor practices kill her regular shoes very quickly.

We had that trouble also, we got a pair of the Ringer turf shoes for indoors. They hold up just as good as the cleats, we have replaced the insoles but the durability of these shoes/cleats still amazes me!

Jun 12, 2015
We had that trouble also, we got a pair of the Ringer turf shoes for indoors. They hold up just as good as the cleats, we have replaced the insoles but the durability of these shoes/cleats still amazes me!

Oohhh. I haven't seen those.

Oct 19, 2009
DD and I rented a pitching lane to practice while she is home from college for Christmas. A few lanes over a pitching coach was giving lessons to 2 students both were leaping badly, she demonstrates pitches to the 2 students and she is also leaping.

I mention something to the proprietor and she advise she is the new sensation in pitching coaches in the area and has trophies and records to back it up.

My question was, you do know leaping is illegal? Answer was only if they call it!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors