What drives me crazy in young pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
If it was an easy fix they wouldn't be doing it. My DD has been working on fixing hers. It still crops up. Never called until championship games or rivals.

Jun 12, 2015
I see this all the time at tournaments. It's actually one of the things mine doesn't have issues with (brush, drive, whip, yes. But not the leap. haha).

May 12, 2008
In my opinion, the back foot being in the air isn't the only flaw. I don't like that front leg turned the way it is.... Sets up a much less than optimal landing.

If she lands that way I agree. If she gets that closed in the air and then hip rotation opens it significantly by landing then I'd say she's doing what elite pitchers tend to do.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Why is it a rule to begin with? How does mandating no leap help our sport?

I'm for dropping the "no leap" rule, but not the "no crop hop" rule.

The "no leap" rule is a carry over from the days when a pitcher did not have to start with both feet touching the rubber, so a pitcher could leap quite a ways. Someone came up with the idea of making the pitcher drag her foot.

Ever since the pitchers are required to keep their feet touching the rubber, I don't see the pitcher getting any advantage from going airborne.

I don't think the crow hop should be allowed.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
In my opinion, the back foot being in the air isn't the only flaw. I don't like that front leg turned the way it is.... Sets up a much less than optimal landing.

To Doug's point the foot is the symptom, not the issue. The problem is well North of the feet at the hips or even the shoulders. Actually it is not that difficult to fix, you just need to focus on what is really broken.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30