What drills help with arm speed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 11, 2009
Mesa Arizona
Hello all,

I've been real busy lately and haven't had a chance to post anything, here in AZ we're blessed with great softball weather and have been working on alot of things softball. I was looking for some arm speed drills to have my dd do. Here timing is a little off. She is full plant and arm is at almost 11 oclock. Any help will be appreciated.

Huge ice storm here. Glad you get to work outside.

This is probably posted somewhere else on here but give this drill a shot.

Arm Circles: Need some kind of weighted ball, regular ball and light ball.
-Position yourself on one knee. 45 deg to catcher so you are in good alignment
idea is to isolate core and arm - could do this standing I suppose.
make 3 circles and release on third circle 10 reps - heavy ball
1st circle slow
2nd circle faster
3rd circle full speed
all circles need to be with arm fully extended - not locked but in normal position

Repeat with regular ball - 10 reps
Repeat with light balls - 10 reps

Begin again with heavy balls
2 circles
1st circle medium fast
2nd circle full speed
Repeat with regular balls - 10 reps
Repeat with light balls - 10 reps

Now begin again with heavy balls: 1 circle full speed - 10 reps
regular balls: 1 circle full speed - 10 reps
light balls: 1 circle full speed - 10 reps

Push yourself during this drill, it should be hard and you should feel it

Next Day - Same as Day 1 except..
Everything is full circle, full speed
3 circles-and release on 3rd - all circles full speed - heavy ball 10 reps
Repeat with regular ball
Repeat with light ball
Then repeat but do 2 circles full speed - heavy ball 10 reps
2 circles full speed - regular ball 10 rep
2 circles full speed - light ball 10 rep
Then repeat but do 1 circle full speed - heavy, regular, light 10 reps

You may be sore after these, so ice that shoulder and arm for about 20 minutes after practice.

Whew I'm tired just thinking about that drill. We have to do this one in our garage with a heater.

Oh, don't use a 1 pound ball! Maybe an 8.5 ounce ball for the heavy balls.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
A softball weighs 6.8 ounces. I start adding nails around the seams (keep them even and opposite) and it takes a few nails to get to 7 ounces. The girls can tell when they pick up a 7 ounce ball. So, maybe even 7.2 would be heavy enough for this drill. I use a postal scale to weigh them.

I have the set of weighted balls that are 8,9,10 and 11 ounces and I never throw them with the windmill.

May 11, 2009
Amy
I was wondering about that. I was once told not to have my DD throw a true weighted ball but it was OK to make a weighted ball with nails. We added finish nails to the seems so the were in deep and would not come out and like you it was about 7.2 or 7.4 oz. We were told not to go over 7.5 oz on a full windmill.
Softballfan94 have you had your girls throwing 8 oz balls in a full windmill with no trouble? No muscle issues? I am just curious because I was told it was kind of taboo to do that. I understand why you are doing it and I really like your sets. We were not doing that and we will start, that is a great session. I just don't want to tear any of my pitchers arms up.
Thanks
Mike

Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
On a strength and conditioning point of view, I would recommend exercises to increase shoulder strength and rotator cuff exercises as well, this will help on increased arm speed and most important I would suggest proper shoulder flexibility exercises to keep shoulder loose for a quicker motion.

For quick improvement in flexibility, use the PNF technique. The PNF technique is an advanced stretching protocol that helps athletes makes quick and impressing gains in flexibility. PNF stretching has to be done with a partner. Seek the assistance of a qualified therapist or trainer to show you how to do it.

Nov 6, 2008
SB Fan-

I would not recommend this type of routine. While this may or may not increase arm speed, multiple arm circles , especially with an extended arm does not mimic anything that the arm is supposed to be doing – it is a different action altogether. Speed is more a function of arm whip with IR than sheer circle speed. I have had many girls come to me over the years who had been taught fast circle/expended arm who couldn’t break a paper bag. This drill has been around forever but makes as much sense to me as a baseball pitcher doing it in reverse.

Secondly, this drill could cause injury, especially using a weighted ball building up more and more centrifugal force. The injury factor is unknown, another reason to avoid.

Stick to things like long toss and periodic max outs with immediate speed gun feed back, along with overall strength and core training. There are no short cuts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck