What does "Staying back" mean?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
My definition of "staying back" would be upper body upright or a little angle back ending with the upper body behind the stride foot at release.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In my view, "staying back" refers to keeping the weight back during the entire pitching motion. I've attached shots of Osterman at 12, 3 and 6. Her weight never goes over her right leg. It is always "back" of her right thigh.

I've attached shots of a younger girl and my DD. For each, the weight is "forward", i.e., it is is over the plant foot.

Attachments

• osterman3..JPG
    osterman3..JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 27
  • osterman6..JPG
    osterman6..JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 26
  • osterman12..JPG
    osterman12..JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 23
  • amanda6..JPG
    amanda6..JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 25
  • val.JPG
    val.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 29

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
(there is s a limit on how many pictures you can add to a post...)

In this two shots, you can see the lean.

This girl in the gray t-shirt has a lean, and weight is somewhat forward, but not too bad. If she simply stood up or leaned back a little, she would have that problem fixed.

The girl in the green has a lean and her weight is forward.

There is a fundamental difference between a "lean" problem and a "weight forward".. A "weight forward" issue is caused because of a timing issue--the arm and the body aren't synchronized correctly, so the body is ahead of the arm. So, a pitcher has to slow down her body or speed up her arm to get them synced correctly.

Leaning is a little bit complicated. If you are lucky, "the lean" is caused by (and I know this is circular) leaning forward at release. So, you use bungy cords or rope or screaming at her until her ears bleed to stop leaning.

At other times, "the lean" is sometimes caused by premature closing of the upper body and dragging the arm around the body. (Which is what is happening with the girl in the green.) Obviously, this type of problem is difficult to fix, and is endemic among 12U pitchers.

Attachments

• nicole3..JPG
    nicole3..JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 30
  • rh2..JPG
    rh2..JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 29
Apr 13, 2010
My DD was like the girl in the green shorts before Finch camp last winter. After going there and the University of Minnesota we worked and corrected it so she is like the correct pictures.

And that's what I understand "staying back" to mean as well.

The other part that goes with that is when my DD was leaning forward she would take 3 steps right left right after pitching. Now she just drags her right foot up and gets in a position to field the ball. We were calling that "walking through the pitch". The Finch folks were looking for that closely and were quick to try and correct it.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
!. In the case of Ray, Ken and myself STAY BACK means being in the first grade two years!

2. Indian build small fire, sit close, stay warm. Paleface build big fire, STAY BACK, freezes to death!

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2009
!. In the case of Ray, Ken and myself STAY BACK means being in the first grade two years!

2. Indian build small fire, sit close, stay warm. Paleface build big fire, STAY BACK, freezes to death!
To me," staying back" as you release the ball, means you can leave the 1st grade!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01