What do you see...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2010
This is my 13yo. Yes the video is dark. It was shot with my phone. We have been getting some wonderful help from a great instructor. Just curious what others have to say.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2008
She is a bug squisher and her upper half leads the swing, I cant see too much else will watch on a bigger screen later...

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Needs to work on getting bottom half correct. From what I can see your DD needs to "forward by coil". As of now from what I can see your DD is just reaching out with her front foot and pretty much puts it right back down in the same spot. Needs the rear leg/side planting the stride foot after the coil. Your DD is just spinning on the back leg.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
mc.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I think one simple way to get them to stop bug squishing is think of walking off the back foot. Not spinning with their weight on it.
williamsheels.gif

Also, hard to see in the light, does her back elbow come up when she is loading into her upper back? I see her loading there, and getting a little coil, just can't see her elbow come up and back down into the slot position.

IMO most of that movement is her style getting kind of a flow...and is just fine.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
9uvpl5.gif

This was a suggestion by FFS to help my DD with sort of the same problem. I hope it helps?
This alone ... the transition from 'stance' to 'launch' ... is something worth practicing nightly for 10-min/night for 2wks. Can't emphasize enough how getting this portion perfected can lead to a healthy repeatable swing.

Extra brownie points if you can arrive at the launch position with the shoulders angled downward.

Do you see how Cabrera turns his lead leg in during the beginning of the transition ... what Ted Williams referred to as a front knee cock ... that is something that I treasure in a swing ... and for me, I treat it as an absolute. That action is semi-present in Laura's swing ... but could be improved. It's almost as if she wants to perform a front knee cock, but doesn't know about it. When you have this lead knee cocking action ... then you will better understand what people mean by "lead side resistance" ... by "falling forward" ... by "leaning into it".

T

theaddition

Plain English.... how to fix it?

Shoot a better video, have her dress atheletically & provide a better hitting environment.

Who ever touched on the excessive head movement was dead on. Your DD actually moves her head rearwards as she strides, or more specifically, loads. That is a huge problem.
Don't do anything until that has been fixed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA