What do you see...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Is your term of forward press when you use it, similar to thinking of coiling into a resistant rear leg, or noon's lingo of having internal pressure?

In golf the forward press is just prior to the backswing ... or in hitting, it is just prior to the negative move or the loading of the rear leg. It is a small micro-move that often goes unnoticed. It is the start of the swing sequence.

It can be as simple as a rear leg twitch forward, rear knee twitch forward, a slight rear heel lift, a slight hip bump forward, even bringing the hands slightly forward, etc. This movement pattern is often credited with improving rhythm/timing … but it is much more than that. With this movement pattern you basically can automate the feel of "getting on the hill" (the hill that Williams made when he got in the box [p. 34 of TSOH … guessing on the page number]) ... or "get on the wedge" at the start of the backswing. You are preparing your rear leg to be used in a resistive manner at the very start of the backswing. The backswing, or loading going into launch, is critical … and what I’m saying is that a movement pattern such as a forward press can help automate the building of a healthy backswing.

The forward press can prove to be very effective. I can't state enough that the quality of the backswing, or loading, is highly important.

Here is an 8yo kid that recently posted a swing clip. Not the prettiest of swings mind you … but that isn’t my point. My point is that this 8yo kid’s mechanics included an imbedded form of forward press ... something that could be built upon with significant success if he understood why he was doing it and how to make use of it.

x5ut6p.gif

You’ll often see a forward press as part of a kid’s natural movement pattern ….. and I cringe when a coach stupidly removes it as wasted movement.

As you experiment with different forms of forward presses … think of the hill that Williams made in the batter’s box and think “get on the hill”. You’ll feel the pressure contained to the inside portion of your rear leg and foot.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Almost getting the rear leag/foot ready for its job. Its job of accepting the body/leg as it begins to coil. When I do it (forward press) it feels like I am making sure the "ground'' under my foot is stable enough to support my "action". Primal Making sure I have good "footing" to swing my sword. Side note I used a wedge last year to help teach DD to get off her rear side better.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2010
Not to hijack thread but have some thoughts. I played golf maybe 10 times in my life, I am 42. 7 of those 10 times their were adult tasty beverages involved ;)

I understand the similarites between golf swing and bb/sb swing. Their is one very important aspect that regular dads/moms seem to missing. Watching these golf vids/gifs the ball is STATIONARY. Our girls during the game our swinging at a moving ball with 4 tenths of a second to react and drive. Add the fact if the balls breaks, change of speeds, and when they get older rises.

Its almost like tee work. I have been there with too much tee work and not enough front toss. Shes smashing the ball of the tee, and then faces some good pitching she cant hit as well as the tee. How about the pharse "cage queen" ball coming in over the plate or inside or outside time and time again, the girls know where its going and have the timing down of the machine. Come game time, crafty pitchers will eat her up. How many times you said or heard "she crushes at pratice/home why cant she bring it to the game"

Adjustablilty folks, you have to find it for your daughters, there are ways of getting it, and there is one way that provides the most. My dd agreed to give it a shot(change her swing) changing her swing this offseason.

Good luck to all, and find wants right for your kid, there is one big world wide net out there.

Sep 17, 2009
Adjustablilty folks, you have to find it for your daughters, there are ways of getting it, and there is one way that provides the most. My dd agreed to give it a shot(change her swing) changing her swing this offseason.

fpdaddy, would love to hear more about the "one way" and your experiences with it this winter...can you share a bit? any video before and after? what was easiest and hardest? what had the biggest impact?

TKS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321