Stolen Base? Or Error? How should this be ruled in the book or GC?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2019
Just curious how this should be ruled in the book or GameChanger. Rad's post from the past couple days was fitting for some situations this past weekend. Full disclosure, this is my DD catching. I'm just curious what the forum would say.

May 13, 2023
Just curious how this should be ruled in the book or GameChanger. Rad's post from the past couple days was fitting for some situations this past weekend. Full disclosure, this is my DD catching. I'm just curious what the forum would say.

Thank you for having Game Time video with your question!

My disclaimer I am not a person who records stats book to games.
As a player, that throw should have been recovered by the receiving end defensive player. Should not have been a loose ball on that play.

Defensively what I see is the receiving defensive player went to a spot and stopped there instead of coming through to the ball to control it and make a tag.

If seeing that video correctly 🤔
it looks like the defensive receiving end was behind the bag and the runner was coming in front of them. That is an awkward situation. Would prefer defensive player in front of the bag to be in a better position for the throw.

Jun 11, 2013

Just out of curiosity what person did you think might get an error?

Apr 25, 2019
Just out of curiosity what person did you think might get an error?

In the first clip, I would think that 2nd base would have gotten the error because the throw was there but the receiver was not. In the second clip, I have no idea. I hate that it counts as a stolen base when the runner would have been hosed had there been a player there to receive the throw.

Jun 8, 2016
SB in both. Now if the first throw was perfect (and kid was hosed) and the kid just drops it and runner is safe technically (in baseball at least);

a)the runner is charged with a caught stealing
b) the catcher is awarded an assist
c) fielder is awarded an error

but I am not sure I have ever seen a scoring like that 😂

Apr 25, 2019
SB in both. Now if the first throw was perfect (and kid was hosed) and the kid just drops it, technically:

a)the runner is charged with a caught stealing
b) the catcher is awarded an assist
c) fielder is awarded an error

but I am not sure I have ever seen a scoring like that 😂

Interesting. Thanks

Jun 11, 2013
Just remember when scoring that just because a mistake is made doesn't mean there is an error. If SS is late covering or if they take the wrong angle that's not generally an error. It's the same as if the C throws wide when the runner would have been out by 10 feet. As long as the runner doesn't get another base it's almost always a SB.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles