What do you do when no one believes in your kid?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
I assume what was meant was "she wont be a pitcher here". And thats fair, if there are better ones.

If she isnt at the top of the pitching heap where she is you have 2 options. 1) Go where she can be, or 2) dont pitch.

You can continue to work on pitching on your own, clinics, private coaching, etc. It is your responsibility to make her into a pitcher if thats what she wants, not anyone elses. The same with hitting, and fielding. Work to give your daughter the skills she needs to succeed, that may mean private instruction, etc.

10yo is too young to tell much about a player. By 12 it usually starts showing, by 14-15 you can see the who is the real deal and who will never be.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
If she or you are not happy, find another team. No need in both of you being miserable. This sport at that age should be fun and family time.

Every boy and girl wants to be a pitcher. Some have it, some don't. Some can be taught, some can't. Some will get better with age, some will peak early and never get any better. At your early age it's best to work on playing several positions and a hot bat.

Feb 24, 2010
A few comments to the OP:

- Michael Jordan was cut from his HS basketball team on his first tryout, so don't let her get discouraged.
- Going to a hitting clinic 5 consecutive Sunday's is great - now turn that into 5 days per week all off season and see what happens
- Does she set goals for herself or do you set them for her? Depending on her maturity you may need to help her with this. At 10 YO dd wanted a cell phone, I told her once she hits 50 mph as measured by her pitching coach she can have one. It's been less than 4 months and I'm already looking what I should buy her.
- Be realistic on her "pond" - a big fish in a little pond will stand out whereas that same fish in a large pond will blend in

And finally, and maybe the most important, did you ask her what SHE wants? I'm assuming she wants all of this or else you wouldn't have given her all of the help you have, but she may really not want to be all that good. And that is absolutely fine. Like someone else said, as long as herself and her parents believe in her no matter what she does, it really doesn't matter what others think. I've seen girls (and boys) leave an activity because the parents wanted it for them more than they did, so they ended up hating every minute they spent on that activity.

Apr 13, 2010
Just wanted to thank everyone for their replies. It's hard to know what your kid wants to do at 10. Or at least this kid. Probably got some of that from me as I'm not sure I know what I want to be when I grow up or right now either except her dad of course.

I received a nice private response from someone willing to look at video and I may take them up on that. For now here's the current plan.

1. We accept the fall ball team we've been placed on and use it as a growth opportunity for the player as well as the parent.
2. We have set up an appt. and hopefully a hire of a pitching coach (always got by on free clinics and large clinics with pitching options in the past).
3. We have two 4 day camps (one this week and one next week) coming up. The first is a four day pitching camp with an ex D1 pitching coach. The second is a 4 day elite skills camp with ex D1 coaches.

We'll see where were at after all that and the fall ball season coming up.

Basically after all the hard work over last winter (I'm convinced for this age group there were only two girls who put the kind of time in my kid did in the cage and working on her pitching) we mistakenly expected a small amount of recognition. I spend a lot of time complimenting the other parents on their kids performance no matter what and encourage them to keep working at it and offer my advice on outside help possibilities. Anyway, the recent "slap" has caused us to want to work even harder this offseason and again evaluate where we are at. If anything we'll get some work ethic out of it and eventually pass those who sit on there laurels.

Thanks everyone.

Jul 9, 2010
Just keep at it, if she wants to, and don't worry about others.

My oldest was not very coordinated when she was 10. She was goofing around with pitching with one of her coaches one time, but I didn't think much of it. Also, I didn't know much about it, so I couldn't help her. She was kind of smallish, and the other early-maturers outweighed her, outhit her, outran her, and outpitched her. She was one of those last-to-be-taken kids.

At about 12, she decided she really wanted to be a pitcher, and she really wanted to become a much better player. Since then, we've been to many, many pitching lessons and some hitting lessons. I've bought, and watched, videos, read books, etc, etc. I've learned alot too. She started really working hard, at pitching, hitting, and fielding. She has worked hard enough, in fact, to turn herself into a future collegiate player.

She was not born with any of this. At age 10, you'd thought she was good for a season or 2, and maybe not really ever get the hang of it. Some of the bigger kids told her this wasn't her deal. A coach or two told me she was too slow, too uncoordinated, and just didn't have it. At about age 10 or 11, there was a coach or two who gave up on her.

To make this long story shorter, she committed a week ago, and is now looking forward to her senior season in HS, and preparing herself to play in college.

Some of those "good" kids, actually many of them, from her early little league days have long since quit the game. Usually, they quit about the time that they were no longer the biggest, strongest kid, and it took actual desire and hard work to continue to get better.

That uncoordinated kid, who was not sure of herself, has worked hard. This is a sport where hard work and determination will go a long ways.

It is waaaayyy too early for anyone to be telling you or her what she will or won't become. I hate it when I hear these stories, because it's just not fair to kids.

If it's her desire to play, work, and get better, she will. Simple as that, really. As I told my daughter - don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Aug 10, 2010
To your 10 yr old daughter, the single MOST important person who needs to believe in her - is her DAD. Make sure you never talk negatively about her abilities when she could overhear- and that includes discussing other peoples negative opinions. Talk to her honestly about what it takes to be a pitcher- dedication, education, frustration, jubilation and practice, practice and more practice. Be realistic- You can provide the opportunity -coaching, learning, practice place- but she has to provide the rest. She may just be a late bloomer- or need good coaching - or need to practice more- she is only 10. Most pitchers who fail, fail from a combo of a swelled head and lack of practice.

Apr 13, 2010
Met with a pitching coach last night. Key factor in selecting this coach was the detachment factor. This coach has no connection to our association. Loved what we heard and better yet, my daughter loved what she heard.

We will be going back.

Fall ball practice starts tonight. And next week we have a pitching clinic to attend before we get started with the pitching coach. We'll see how that goes.

Sep 12, 2010
Hope things are going well with your dd and her team. Keep working with the pitching coach and put in lots of time on your own. I would also recommend adding speed, agility and core training if you can fit it in. This has made a huge difference with all the girls on my dd's team. It will give your dd the strength and confidence to take her game to the next level. Good luck.

Apr 13, 2010
Hope things are going well with your dd and her team. Keep working with the pitching coach and put in lots of time on your own. I would also recommend adding speed, agility and core training if you can fit it in. This has made a huge difference with all the girls on my dd's team. It will give your dd the strength and confidence to take her game to the next level. Good luck.

Things are going well. We've been with the same pitching coach now for a few weeks and have seen an improvement in her confidence and ability. There are plans for some core training this winter actually through some friends/other parents, a bunch of girls are going to get together and work together on it this winter. DD is having a good fall season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug