What do you do when no one believes in your kid?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2010
This came up because it appeared when rosters were being put together for fall and a best friend family chose another kid over ours and the kids are somewhat comparable although the other kid is a year older and admittedly stronger, faster, better overall player at this point.

But, the thing is is the stuff I hear over the last couple of years.

Coach of her Spring team a year+ ago. Your daughter can't become a pitcher she's too small, doesn't throw hard enough, blah, blah, blah. (she's 10 at this time, yes 10). She didn't hit very well either on that team, I think the coach didn't help her much and she regressed in that part of her game. She always has been a pretty good fielder.

Full regimen of pitching clinics, other clinics, worked on her hitting a lot last winter taking her down to the University of Minnesota for a hitting clinic five Sunday mornings.

She hit well this Spring. She hit safely at our regional Nationals or whatever you want to call them more than any other player on the team (only one 10U team this Spring was fielded). She also pitched well but admittedly has always played second banana to another girl that is just much faster and better than she is. But, she was a better number two pitcher than that girl had the last year IMO.

And what does this years Spring coach say. She probably won't be a pitcher.

Now the story from other folks is she isn't committed to the game. She's there for friends. She doesn't want to be a softball player. And that's what this other dad tells me when he's picking the other player.

What? No one worked harder than my kid over the winter.

Where I think this comes from is my kid is the quiet kid who only screams with glee if she's playing with the other girls. On the softball field she's just quiet and does her job. She's also not flashy. She's not really that quick so she's not the fastest girl. She's a good fielder but not the best. She's a good singles hitter but doesn't hit the big bomb.

An objective analysis of the players from last Spring to this pas Spring says that she made the biggest jump in her stats.

But, evidently according to past coaches, and some other parents she's not good enough or committed enough.

I don't get it. It's frustrating to watch how other players are advocated for by other parents and coaches while your kid is just whitewashed.

Anyway I was wondering what other parents have done when they have a kid that's been good enough to make the top team every year in tryouts but just hasn't found a way to stand out.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
The kid has to believe in herself. She cannot count on others to do for her, she has to do it for herself. Stop worrying about what others think, say.
Keep working hard.

She is too young to be told that she won't be a pitcher. If she likes it and wants to work at it, go for it.

Find a different place to play. . .

Apr 8, 2010
The kid has to believe in herself. She cannot count on others to do for her, she has to do it for herself. Stop worrying about what others think, say.
Keep working hard.

She is too young to be told that she won't be a pitcher. If she likes it and wants to work at it, go for it. Find a different place to play. . .

perfectly said! half of my team is made up of girls who were told they weren't good enough by other coaches (my dd included). my dd hangs with any team we play against and her stats back her up. our first game this fall in league play - against her first coach that cut her 3 years ago, and who we also beat twice this summer to advance in tourneys. we are a very successful team overall.

Jan 15, 2009
Almost every great player I've come to know has a similar story somewhere in their past. Passed over for the top team, never given time on the mound, not good enough to catch at this level. They become better by setting the goal of not being acknowledged as being as good as, or just good enough, but by setting the bar higher and wanting to be demonstrably better than XXXXX. Sometimes it's an older sibling they are trying to eclipse, sometimes it's a kid in another town they are sick of hearing about, and most often it's someone close to home that they decide that they want to be better than, not 2% better than, but undeniably, ask anybody, put it in the newspaper better than. Reinforce to your kid that until they are that much better they have no special right to expect to be picked first out of a group of near equals and that you will support and guide them on what you think they need to do to get there, but it's their journey not yours. Always be clear that it's obtainable, just a question of how willing they are to out work their peers. I helped in team formation for several years and there were always choices to be made and kids on the bubble. Her job is to not be on the bubble and hope, but to be one of the kids that everyone sees and agrees 100% has to be one of those top kids on the team. Playing 10 games this fall is pretty trivial if her goal is to transform herself into a pitcher and top player for next summer. Take the free time to start the regimen she need to get on to pass that #1 pitcher over the winter.

Oct 25, 2009
When something happens to the first pitcher is when coaches appreciate the second pitcher. Under valuing a second pitcher has cost more than one team a pitcher.

I agree with Pride! Try to be better tomorrow than you are today; not better than someone else, better than yourself.

Jun 13, 2010
1st I would have her set some goals for her self. Just a few. And real obtainable ones. When she reaches them, Set some more. And just keep going. Depending on the compitition for pitcher she will more than likley HAVE to be recognized for her hard work.
With many years seeing kids develop from plain old work I can say that it is hard NOT to see improvement. If she hangs in there she will be fine.
She needs to believe in herself the heck with trying to please other people.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
everyone gets cut usually...do you take it persoanlly or no??? just keep working hard and find a coach thaty will work with her...it might just be you doing drills with her...if she wanst to pitch badly enought then she will do it!! Keep the faith...As a coach I can teach skills but I can't teach desire!!

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Good advice so far.

Another thing to consider at your DD's age is how work ethic and athleticism balance each other out over time. Some of those kids that won the genetic lottery and are natual athletes at 10's and the game at that level comes easy to them don't develop a good work ethic. Already at 12's I've seen a couple kids who were top 5 players on our team slip a bit and get passed up by kids who were less athletic a couple years ago but had great work ethic and have developed superior skills and increased thier athleticism through hard work.

It sounds like your daughter has the love for the game that will drive her work ethic and the parental support that she's going to need. Every once in a while take a step back look at the big picture and set some new specific goals. Either do the research to find the programs, drills and techniques that will help her develop or find a coach to help with that. When goals are reached have a little celebration and set new goals. Any coach worth the title will notice the steady improvement and file that away as positive for that player and future planning of how the team will develop.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse