What do you do when coach publishes incorrect stats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have to admit I do not care too much about DD’s, or other players, stats too much.

Somehow this became a keeping scoring post, which I do not think was the intention of the OP.

Everyone agrees the stats are wrong but no one has any interest in helping the OP in updating the stats.

As a freshmen I would be a pest, as a senior I would be on the phone with the AD.

Jan 22, 2010
Thanks everyone! I think I'll definitely bring it up to the coach. My DD has already asked her twice so it looks like I'm going to have to do it to get it fixed. Don't even get me started on the batting stats. I won't even bother mentioning that but not subbing in a new pitcher should be a pretty easy fix. Drives me nuts because I have been keeping my DD stats for years on espn iscore and to see how badly a varsity softball team scorekeeper is drives me crazy.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If you're using GameChanger and the scorekeeper didn't ''change pitchers'' correctly, it might not be easy to fix. If not mistaken, Gamechanger makes you go all the way back to the error, fix it, then re-submit each at-bat following that.

I had a situation recently where my daughter walked, but the scorekeeper (not paying attention) credited her with a reached on error. I pointed it out, but he couldn't figure out a way to fix it. Someone more familiar w/ GC told me that it would require erasing all results that followed and re-entering from the point of the walk. He said that the player's season totals can be edited, but the boxscore and play-by-play would require more invasive surgery.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Some balky stats in Gamechanger shouldn't get anyone's attention, but once they get printed in the newspaper, they seem far more real.

I've used two different people keeping score, with the written book being the primary, and then using Gamechanger to review individual at-bats and reconcile any differences between the book and my own memory. I also develop and keep my own stat tools. Most certainly in HS, the coach should review whatever record they're using, and correct where necessary. The kids deserve an accurate record. The online scorekeeping is cool, but none of it is as easy to fix as a pencil & paper scorebook.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
If you're using GameChanger and the scorekeeper didn't ''change pitchers'' correctly, it might not be easy to fix. If not mistaken, Gamechanger makes you go all the way back to the error, fix it, then re-submit each at-bat following that.

Yes, another point in iScore's favor: make one change and the entire game is auto-updated. The only reason I cling to GC is the ease of use. I can hand my iPad to just about any parent that isn't technophobic and get good scorekeeping having them sit next to the dugout.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
PS> Everyone is going on gamechanger, so that stinks. People are also mad about the auto fake articles. One coach had to apologize over one ridiculous article.

Using GC itself doesn't stink - it keeps a great book. But those auto articles are hilarious, and I can see how a coach might have to apologize. I did too, a few years ago: the auto article semi-bashed one of the girls and it upset her when she read it. It didn't say anything untrue, but it didn't candy coat the situation either.

Mar 25, 2011
I love the articles! I don't care if they bash my dd or paint her as the team's savior, i just enjoy reading how a computer interprets the game. All too often those stories get cut short, and I'm left with a cliffhanger.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Last year in TB, one of the asst coaches wanted to use my GC data until he realized it showed his DD's actual batting average. He wanted her to be over .400 to show a college here in Texas. Unfortunately, at the time his Dd had mostly popped up or struck out for the first 2/3 of the season. Not sure how to get .400 out of that without rose colored glasses.

He told another parent that my GC info was just a parent putting in numbers to GameChanger and the info wasn't correct.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If I am keeping score it is almost impossible to get an error, it is always a hit. :)

Our Team has a great batting average. Don’t give me the book if you do not like it.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have never really cared about HS stats, but they are not published in our local paper like others have mentioned. The only time I have ever seen any stats was at the end of the season when the coach shows the players their season averages. There is such a variation in the levels of competition in HS that stats can easily be scewed. I will never forget two years ago we were playing against a team who has a couple of REC ball players and girls who have probably never played softball. My DD hit a "can of corn" fly ball to LF and the F7 took two steps in and the ball landed right behind her. The lady keeping the book turned around and commented "nice double", to which I replied "that should be an error on F7". The scorer replied "the outfielder did not touch the ball, so it is a hit". Technically she is correct, but just dayum. If my DD was pitching and was giving up hits on plays like that I would be balder than I already am!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild