What coaching style is best or your daughter?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
We played a team this weekend, 16A that their coach consistently told them where the play was, how to do it, when to do it. EVERY pitch.... Talk about annoying whew!!

We don't coach the girls much during games. Let them play, make notes, and work the next practice.

And you let your catchers call pitches too, right?!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
We played a team this weekend, 16A that their coach consistently told them where the play was, how to do it, when to do it. EVERY pitch.... Talk about annoying whew!!

We don't coach the girls much during games. Let them play, make notes, and work the next practice.

We have a guy around here that does that. Well, I know he used to, not sure if he does anymore. He would tell every player what to do on every pitch.

One time we're playing his team in a 14U game. It's the bottom of the 7th, game is tied, one out and we have a runner on third. He yells to his infield that the play is at home. Ground ball hit to his shortstop, she promptly picks up the ball and fires a perfect strike -- to first. We win the game and he's going ballistic. My assistant coach and I are chuckling because we know what happened. He talked so much his team quit paying attention by the third inning.

There's a lot to be said for letting the girls play.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We have a guy around here that does that. Well, I know he used to, not sure if he does anymore. He would tell every player what to do on every pitch.

One time we're playing his team in a 14U game. It's the bottom of the 7th, game is tied, one out and we have a runner on third. He yells to his infield that the play is at home. Ground ball hit to his shortstop, she promptly picks up the ball and fires a perfect strike -- to first. We win the game and he's going ballistic. My assistant coach and I are chuckling because we know what happened. He talked so much his team quit paying attention by the third inning.

There's a lot to be said for letting the girls play.

Haha, that's too funny!!

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
How does any girl (or person) respond positive to getting yelled at? It's called coaching, not berating or yelling. Now, there is a difference between yelling instructions to, and yelling at a player. I have 10 yo Pitcher and 11 yo Catcher. My girls are 15 months apart, and their personalities could not be different. 10 yo always focuses on anything positive you say about her game, while 11 yo always focuses on the negative. Of course you coach and treat different players differently. This isn't major league baseball where grown men should know how to do their job or they are outta there. I've always found a mix of coach personalities works best. I'm more of a fundamentals, no nonsense guy (but no yelling!), so it's nice to have a "players coach" also on my staff. Somebody that can make the fun side of softball stay fun while I make the working and learning side of softball help to develop their skills.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1