What are you doing to fix DBSF

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
RD - just trying to stick to generally accepted terms as set forth over at BBD.

The gather does lead into coil, so in a sense gather is part of the coil. But, in terms of timing - gather is before release and coil should be at and after release.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
RD - just trying to stick to generally accepted terms as set forth over at BBD.
Butter, I know the terms over at BBD but, not everyone is a member of BBD or any other site. I was just trying to fill in the missing pieces of the puzzle for some.

Dec 15, 2013
So is DBSF a product of a hitter being out of sequence or is it just a hitter that is too "handsy" and trying to level to the path of the ball instead of creating tilt?

Jul 26, 2016
I don't really believe into "get the sequence right and everything will fall in place".

yes it is true that a good base is important and getting the legs, hips and spine working right is important and minimizes the potential for error but still Hand path and Barrel path Needs to be taught. MLB Players spend plenty of time working on their Hand path and Barrel path (stay inside...). a top down swing is bad of course and the correct sequence is really important but the right Hand and even arm and shoulder Actions (yeah I know that is considered evil) are important too and don't teach themselves.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Like what noon time and others have said about the importance of 'gather.' Does anyone have drills that they use to emphasize that? If I understand it, the concept of 'gather' is that your hands go up/back as you go forward, not as you unweight your front foot.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I don't really believe into "get the sequence right and everything will fall in place".

Having a hard time getting my head around this.... I think I get what you're after, but the initial statement got me hung up. I think my confusion reflects where I am in the early stages of hitting education. Sequence is the baseline, followed by how to use it in practical situations. I'm not there yet....

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

yes it is true that a good base is important and getting the legs, hips and spine working right is important and minimizes the potential for error but still Hand path and Barrel path Needs to be taught. MLB Players spend plenty of time working on their Hand path and Barrel path (stay inside...). a top down swing is bad of course and the correct sequence is really important but the right Hand and even arm and shoulder Actions (yeah I know that is considered evil) are important too and don't teach themselves.

IMO, if you have the sequence down its exponentially easier to subsequently refine hand path than vice versa

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I'm going to disagree with everyone...

From my experience (which is plenty with DD2) this is NOT a sequence problem.

I can stand on one leg - either front or back leg - sit on a bucket - stand on my tip toes whatever and NOT DBSF when I swing.

I can go all back - all forward in my swing and not DBSF.

Getting them to feel top hand pressure perpendicular to the barrel will solve the problem...

This is NOT easy to teach...

nwkkcg.gif

2q0q82f.gif

What I have done is stand behind DD2 with my hand loosely around her barrel...I say "go" and she start her swing and I keep the barrel from dropping and she can feel the "grab" in her bicep and the perpendicular pressure in her top hand.

The hands NEED to be trained...no offense to the posters in this thread who I have great respect for...but I don't see how a better sequence solves this problem...CP

Dec 15, 2013
I have a hitter that can go 100 out of 100 on the tee without DBSF but as soon as the ball it pitched it shows up everytime. I somwhat feel the sequence is an issue for two reasons.. the hands start too early or the coiling starts during the gather it gets out of wack. Or its just their bodys muscle memory to dump to match the plane of the ball. Im not sure what exactly it is but it is frustrating.. and i have a older experienced hitter that shows flashes of tremendous power.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA