What are you doing to fix DBSF

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Absolutely show her what a model swing looks like. Some people can see someone perform an action and then copy that action, others can not. In either case, watching a good swing is helpful. If you want to watch a great swing, eric f has a video on his channel titled 'jen'. Dont know who the player is but boy what a swing! A thing of beauty. I could watch it over and over. They should make a sticky out of erics video play list, every video is awesome.

When doing swingbuilders drill i would suggest having a general area where you want the bat to land. Copy where swingbuilder throws the bat. The bat may not go where you want at first but with conscious effort you will beable to whip the bat with precision.

Thanks. Funny you mention copying because I have a 19 month old son who I thought was a lefty so when he would pick up a bat I would have him hold it that way..well after a summer of watching his big sister hit right-handed he now refuses to swing it lefty..lol.

May 3, 2014
Thanks, I see it a little different. I see coil( what I see as coil any way) before ball release. I'm going by the stripe on the hitters pants. Again I may be confusing what you consider 'gather' and I consider 'coil'. I see coil as the right arm is coming down. Not familiar with this hitter. Is it possible that the late coil that you see and say will work for all pitches. Because it looks like a 'back hand'/'flip' change up. Again I could be wrong.

Added: I believe if a hitter waits until ball is released to load/coil or load and coil they will be rushed or feel rushed. JMHO.

I will give you a few more to look at courtesy of Noon

Longoria_pat_seq.gif

Braun_pat_seq.gif

Manny_pat_seq.gif

Edmonds_pat_seq.gif

You can't coil late if you don't gather. I mean you can, but then the coil will be rushed as you say. The gather sets up the coil.

Aug 28, 2012
Thanks, I see it a little different. I see coil( what I see as coil any way) before ball release. I'm going by the stripe on the hitters pants. Again I may be confusing what you consider 'gather' and I consider 'coil'. I see coil as the right arm is coming down. Not familiar with this hitter. Is it possible that the late coil that you see and say will work for all pitches. Because it looks like a 'back hand'/'flip' change up. Again I could be wrong.

Added: I believe if a hitter waits until ball is released to load/coil or load and coil they will be rushed or feel rushed. JMHO.

DING DING DING.... you just encapsulated the problem with 99% of amateur hitting!

"I believe if a hitter waits until ball is released to load/coil or load and coil they will be rushed or feel rushed."

The amateur hitter doesn't know how to swing in a sequence of coiling-loading-launching within the time window of ball in flight...

so.... for too many the "fix" is...

The gather becomes the load.
Or the gather is the coil back.

All back all forward and all the "problems" that are associated with it (DBSF being one)comes from that every time.

The gather (all the stuff that happens before pitcher release) is hugely important. For many it is the process by which they go from 2 legged balanced in the batters box, to 1 legged in the rear hip and ready to start the sequence right around pitcher release.

Pattern and Sequence... sure it's just words but IMO it's a heck of a good framework to discuss the swing. Find the thread at BBD. Search #PatternAndSequence on twitter.

Cheers,
NoonTime

Aug 28, 2012
Or better yet...grab the GIFs from there...start a thread here... and Buttermaker can make softball versions to add to the collection! :)

May 3, 2014
Those are good clips. What is doesn't show is the timing of when each happens. Which, as Noon alluded to, critical

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Those are good clips. What is doesn't show is the timing of when each happens. Which, as Noon alluded to, critical

My point with posting the gifs/clip was to show 'gather'. I know Noon and yourself 'alluded' to the term 'gather'. Too some on DFP 'gather' may be/is a foreign term I was trying to give visual on what 'gather' might look like. Even though I see 'gather' as part of the coil and call it as such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand