What are you doing to fix DBSF

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
95re5y.jpg

11vrzv9.jpg

Very useful. Thank you.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Very good..I will make sure my old eyes are warmed up properly or borrow my wife's smartphone or both :cool:

Video is a good idea. Safety tip: Your DD may not like watching herself, especially if you are pointing out things she is doing "wrong".

Alhough not directly related to SB's whip drill, this is video from 2 years ago (DD was 10yo) during a backyard session when we were working on correcting DBSF issues...

The idea was to go through an expanding progression of movements into a full swing on a moving ball, working on keeping the hands up and launching/turning the barrel from above the shoulder. She didn't perform all of the steps of the progression exactly as I wanted in this particular clip, but I think you can get the idea of what we were trying to do. As you can see, when it came time to hit a moving ball, she reverted back to pushing her hands down and back prior to launch. In the long run, this work turned out to be beneficial for my DD's progress.

Jun 8, 2016
Video is a good idea. Safety tip: Your DD may not like watching herself, especially if you are pointing out things she is doing "wrong".

Alhough not directly related to SB's whip drill, this is video from 2 years ago (DD was 10yo) during a backyard session when we were working on correcting DBSF issues...

The idea was to go through an expanding progression of movements into a full swing on a moving ball, working on keeping the hands up and launching/turning the barrel from above the shoulder. She didn't perform all of the steps of the progression exactly as I wanted in this particular clip, but I think you can get the idea of what we were trying to do. As you can see, when it came time to hit a moving ball, she reverted back to pushing her hands down and back prior to launch. In the long run, this work turned out to be beneficial for my DD's progress.

Thanks. Regarding the safety issue..I don't show her the videos of herself. Only of model swings. When she asks if hers looks like those I tell her we are working on it..lol

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks. Regarding the safety issue..I don't show her the videos of herself. Only of model swings. When she asks if hers looks like those I tell her we are working on it..lol

If she's curious to see, it might be beneficial to show her. Just be careful with your commentary - keep it positive. I didn't do a great job in that regard early in our journey.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Absolutely show her what a model swing looks like. Some people can see someone perform an action and then copy that action, others can not. In either case, watching a good swing is helpful. If you want to watch a great swing, eric f has a video on his channel titled 'jen'. Dont know who the player is but boy what a swing! A thing of beauty. I could watch it over and over. They should make a sticky out of erics video play list, every video is awesome.

When doing swingbuilders drill i would suggest having a general area where you want the bat to land. Copy where swingbuilder throws the bat. The bat may not go where you want at first but with conscious effort you will beable to whip the bat with precision.

May 3, 2014
I have said in the past that DBSF is a sequence issue. If you learn to coil correctly and allow your hands/arms react to that coil - DBSF will work itself out of the swing. And tee work won't necessarily work. You need to see a pitched/machine ball to learn how reprogram your sequence so you coil correctly and coil late.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
You need to see a pitched/machine ball to learn how reprogram your sequence so you coil correctly and coil late.
What do you mean by 'coil late'. Start coil when pitched ball is in the air. Start coil when pitcher starts their movement. Or other. I picture 'coil late' to be when ball is in the air. Perhaps are we talking different type of 'coil' all together. I'm asking respectively to try and be on the same page of your meaning.

May 3, 2014
Hi RD,

I mean the coil late is when the ball is in the air. Noon had a good breakdown showing the gather, then coil, then load of Miggy.

Gather is the dance with the pitcher - at release you coil - then load.

wMWtkJ.gif

Melero starts to coil at release on right side - everything on the left is gather/style

But, as I said there is a right way and wrong way to coil.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Hi RD,

I mean the coil late is when the ball is in the air. Noon had a good breakdown showing the gather, then coil, then load of Miggy.

Gather is the dance with the pitcher - at release you coil - then load.

wMWtkJ.gif

Melero starts to coil at release on right side - everything on the left is gather/style

But, as I said there is a right way and wrong way to coil.

Thanks, I see it a little different. I see coil( what I see as coil any way) before ball release. I'm going by the stripe on the hitters pants. Again I may be confusing what you consider 'gather' and I consider 'coil'. I see coil as the right arm is coming down. Not familiar with this hitter. Is it possible that the late coil that you see and say will work for all pitches. Because it looks like a 'back hand'/'flip' change up. Again I could be wrong.

Added: I believe if a hitter waits until ball is released to load/coil or load and coil they will be rushed or feel rushed. JMHO.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
...tee work won't necessarily work.

Agreed...for the most part. DBSF typically shows up as adjustment of the launch location (hand position) while reading the trajectory of the moving ball. If the reading phase is removed, it changes the process and doesn't really address the pattern reprogramming that needs to happen. That said, using a tee in a wide range of pitch locations to help the hitter understand how to get the barrel to those locations from a proper launch position may be helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00