What are Parents thinking sometimes?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Player practicing pitching next to DD had tears in her eyes, which I ignored for a little bit then asked the parent next to me why their DD had tears in their eyes. They said that their DD’S pitching arm hurt when she pitched, I strongly suggested that they stop. They had a conference together and then started pitching again.

Tears were coming down the poor girl’s face when they started again. Do not like getting involved in other people’s lives but every pitch the player threw you could tell hurt her. Had a stronger conversation with the parent, none of my business, but they did stop.

It is hard to understand what some people are thinking sometimes.

Jun 16, 2010
Tears probably werent caused by pain, they usually are caused by emotion.

No one knows a child better than their own parent. Kids cry, and exxagerate injuries and pain for sympathy from the parent for various reasons. The more you push them and show them indifference to it, the worse it usually becomes, even if its really a minor thing.

You are presuming you know the kid better than her own parent. Thats quite an assumption. You should ask questions and talk to the parent and show concerns why the child is crying, but dont tell them what they should do. You could easily be flat out wrong.

All players play with pain at some time. If you arent willing to, hang the cleats up now, they have no future. Its true of all competitive athletes from 10yo to professionals. The trick is to know what a SERIOUS pain is, and what isnt serious. Many , many player play with chronic tendonitis, muscle strains , etc during season because they cannot afford to take the time off required to heal. They survive on ibuprofen or aleve. Thats reality.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
What was he thinking? He is thinking how how can go to work Monday morning and say that his "DD threw 500 pitches Sat. night."
I am betting that you were right and the guy was all about him, not his DD's arm.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
All players play with pain at some time. If you arent willing to, hang the cleats up now, they have no future. Its true of all competitive athletes from 10yo to professionals.

Living, that is one of the most ridiculous posts I have read. You don't know the age of the child, you weren't present. Basically, you have no idea what you are talking about. I suggest you lay off the "sport movies" for a while.

Children (18 and under) have no business playing if they are in pain. There is nothing in softball (or any child's sports) that is worth risking a permanent injury.

Once an athlete is no longer a child (i.e., in college), then the *ADULT* athlete can decide what risks are or are not worth it.

Many , many player play with chronic tendonitis, muscle strains , etc during season because they cannot afford to take the time off required to heal.

Last I checked, November 5 is not "in season" for softball.

A child should not be hurting practicing pitching. If she is, something is seriously wrong.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
You are presuming you know the kid better than her own parent. Thats quite an assumption. You should ask questions and talk to the parent and show concerns why the child is crying, but dont tell them what they should do. You could easily be flat out wrong.

Player practicing pitching next to DD had tears in her eyes, which I ignored for a little bit then asked the parent next to me why their DD had tears in their eyes. They said that their DD’S pitching arm hurt when she pitched

Where is the assumption?????

If a child's arm hurts bed enough to bring tears to their eyes they need to stop IMMEDIATELY!!!!!! It sounds like this girl needs to time off.

I second Sluggers response.

Dec 18, 2010
Pitching coach of my friends DD stopped her lessons today part way through. He said " he could tell something was wrong with her" he did ask her if anything was wrong and she would say "no" repeatedly, only to admit to her dad later she was having serious pains. He even went as far as to tell her to take a day or two off to see how she feels. This girl is on a 18U gold team and she is no slouch but you can do more harm than good when you ignore you body's warning system kinda like continuing to drive your car with check engine light on.

Jan 25, 2011
A car with the check engine light on I would drive, it is just a car.My dd in pain while pitching,no way!,I would shut her down,no matter how important the game was or practice.I have always asked my daughter,about pain or soreness,and under stand the differeance.Quincy you did right in my book.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Everytime I practice pitching with my DD I start with the statement if your arm hurts tell me.I understand most if not all pitchers want to pitch.They are kids and don't understand that being in pain while doing an activity my have serious effects down the road.I watch my DD's face if something doesn't look right I question her way she made that face.I tell her if your arm hurts you need to tell me or your coach.It's only a game its not my game it's my DD's game.I have a big mouth (so I'm told) and would not have let that go on in front of me.Good job to you quincy.Abuse is abuse no matter what type.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was on shaky ground, feel better knowing that most people agree with me. Hopefully it will not come up again.

Thanks for the responses.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I try and stay out of other DD/Daddy practices as a rule. But kudos to Quincy for saying something. I would like to think I would have said something, but not being there, I am not certain. Had to be one of two things. A real injury or a kid who obviously didn't want to practice. Either way, there was nothing positive coming out of the session. Glad they finally shut it down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd