What are best ways to increase a pitcher's accuracy?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 21, 2013
I cannot stand for the coach to yell "throw strikes" what do you think the girls are trying to do? We would love for our DD's to get up there and strike everyone out but that's not their only job. They need to pitch put the ball into play, their defense should be able to back them up..it is a "team" after all.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Make it fun and they will become better pitchers.

My daughter likes to get a bucket of balls, on right knee with left foot stretched out towards home and then rapid fire (with full wind up)into net with target. Simple drill but it is fun to her.

You beat a child down on mechanics, mechanics, mechanics they will eventually ask to play some where else. Teach mechanics but try fun drills. The one Amy described above is another fun one.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
No simple solution. Keep working and if the mechanics are good it will come. Try small adjustments and challenges. It will come. Just make sure you both have the understanding that eventually it MUST come. Strikes are not good enough. Pinpoint accuracy is a must as you move up.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I'm surprised nobody has suggested that the coach yell from the dugout, "Throw strikes!"

Or maybe have the pitcher's parent do it. I must work because I hear it a lot.

"Throw Strikes" is the older cousin of the rec "Let them hit it" shout

May 10, 2010
This will sound cruel but was effective. All the pitches that are not catchable sitting on the bucket my dd had to go get. Sometimes we would reverse and she would pitch from the plate towards the outfield. It was amazing how her control and confidence improved when she figured out dear old dad was not going to get off the bucket any more.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd