What are best ways to increase a pitcher's accuracy?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
First, she needs to understand the strike zone.

(1) the strike zone's dimensions change from batter to batter--taller batters have larger strike zones, shorter batters have smaller strike zones.
(2) the position of the strike zone changes from batter to batter. A taller players strike zone may start several inches above that of a shorter player.
(3) Each umpire has a unique strike zone. (She isn't dealing with major league umpires paid six figure salaries. She is dealing with umpires paid $50 or so per game.) It is pretty rare to find an umpire with a rectangular strike zone.
(4) Softball is played outside. There will be wind, causing the ball to move left and right.

THE PITCHER MUST ADAPT TO THE UMPIRE, THE BATTERS AND THE WEATHER.
If the pitcher and Daddy sit around whining and crying about the umpires, then the pitcher and Daddy need to find another sport.

Therefore, the pitcher has to learn to move the ball up, down, left and right to compensate for batters of different heights, the umpires with differing strike zones, the weather, and fatigue. There really is no other way to do it.

Since that is what she will have to do during the game, the best drill is to have the pitcher practice throwing the ball left, right, up and down.

The approach to teaching control is to continually emphasize the skill of moving the ball. You do this by continually reducing the size of the opening the pitcher is throwing the ball to, while moving the opening from place to place.

SO:

Step 1: Up/Down--Have the pitcher rotate between throwing the ball low and throwing the ball high. One pitch high, next pitch low, next pitch high, etc. It doesn't matter how low or how high the ball goes, just that she can do it.
Step 2: Left/right--Same thing...rotate between throwing the ball to the left and throwing the ball to the right. Again, it doesn't matter how far left or right the ball goes, just as long as it goes right.
Step 3: Divide the strike zone into 4 quadrants--upper left, upper right, lower right, lower left. Have the pitcher throw the ball into a quadrant. Tell her which quadrant you want the ball, and have her throw the ball into that quadrant. When she does that, then move into the next quadrant.
Step 4: Same as step 3, but you narrow what is "acceptable". You give two ball diameters (about 7 inches) inside and outside. A low pitch is OK as long as it doesn't hit the ground. A high pitch is OK as long as the catcher does not have to stand up to catch the ball. So, the pitcher throws the ball into each quadrant. If the pitch is not within the acceptable range, the pitcher has to throw into that quadrant again until she throws an acceptable pitch.
Step 5: Same as step 3, except you divide the strike zone into nine areas. (low and inside, low and middle of plate, low and outside, middle and inside, middle and middle of plate, etc.) Do the same drill.

For steps 3, 4 and 5, after the pitcher can do several rotations, then the catcher calls for the ball randomly.

The whole process is going to take months, not days or weeks.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Consistent practice with consistent mechanics. Even a pitcher with flawed mechanics, so long as those mechanics are repeatable, can learn how to pinpoint pitches. Accuracy is all about consistency. This is why mental fortitude is so important to pitchers. It's hard to be consistent when emotions are on a roller-coaster.

-W

Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
I think it is reps with solid mechanics, just like batting. If you are consistent with your mechanics the ball should go where you want it to.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I agree with all of the above. Here are some terms that I use "point your middle finger right to my glove, on release." "Know where you are throwing the ball." "See the pitch, in your mind, before you throw it."

We do a drill where she see my target, closes her eyes and pitches. They girls love it.

I teach a lot of control and mechanics. I believe that speed will come, but without control, it is hard to be a pitcher.

May 31, 2012
Limited experience on my part. After DD warms up and is in pitching mode. Fb inside, fb middle, fb outside all knee high. Do this 3 or 4 times. Then fb inside ,cu inside,fb outside, cu outside. Do this 3 or 4 times. work 4 quadrants with fb usually doing X pattern. Repeat a few times. Lately weve added some ladder type stuff. Trying to move the ball off the plate and up, down in 1 ball increments. I was at the gator game Saturday Walton and haeger were complaining about the strike zone most of the game I wonder if they should find a new sport.

Aug 2, 2008
All good advice, especially coogans:D

The biggest muscle memory exercise I see pitchers perfom is their warm-up. Not going to debate warm ups hear but whatever they are; wrists flips, windmills, etc..... 99% of the pitchers I watch warm up throw the ball over the middle of the plate. I have my pitchers throw inside, outside, low and high, mix in there different pitches even from 10 feet away at the start of their warm up.

Never throw over the middle on purpose, thats called a mistake in my book.

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Same as selling - location, location, location! I used to have a teacher that would always say "repetition is good for the soul". Same here. To echo Mike I always have my DD trowing to corners for everything - even overhand! I move the glove and she has to hit it before moving on. When she started getting it regularly we would work 2 in a row before moving on then 3, 4, 5 and then 6. I have seen drills that say up to ten in a row but that makes for a long an drawn out night. She has a wicked drop, nice rise and now a curve so to work each pitch to each spot 6 times in a row makes for a very long night.

I like the 'in a row' method because when the count goes up so does the pressure to perform.when it is 3-2 bases loaded you want her to be confident she can throw anything, anywhere, at anytime. When it is an hour into practice and she has 4 in a row that pressure is on!

Dec 7, 2011
Here is my suggestion:

Reps, reps, reps, and then finish that with reps.
Did I say get in some reps ???
;-)

But not just get out there and hurl.

Every pitch and in fact every throw (even overhand) by a pitcher struggling for "accuracy" should be preceeded with a target in mind. (knee/letter on shirt/catcher glove lace/etc)

Then the mental message of "throw at that target", and don't, "aim at that target".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
christian_softballdad3298