What age?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
At what age does the DD typically start throwing hard enough that the old bucket dads need to start using a real catchers glove? Mine is 11 and has bruised my hand a few too many times now.....along with my shins and even my chin from a drop ball catching the plate and flying up unexpectedly.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I wear a face mask and shin guards with all of my students. They are 8 and up. I add a chest protector when they are throwing 55 +.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Once they can hit mid 50's consistently and/or have good break on the drop, it's time to don some armor. My thoughts are that there isn't much difference between a .45 slug and a dropball in the dirt. If you get hit by either, you are going to be in bad shape.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
Once they can hit mid 50's consistently and/or have good break on the drop, it's time to don some armor. My thoughts are that there isn't much difference between a .45 slug and a dropball in the dirt. If you get hit by either, you are going to be in bad shape.

I couldn't agree more! I spent 6 weeks in a walking boot due to a beautiful drop ball. Lol

Aug 9, 2013
With my top 10 year olds, I will wear shin guards.

An opposing coach who is a friend of mine just lost 3 teeth when a ball deflected off the top of the glove and into her face. Made me think I need to start wearing a mask as well.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It is never too early to start wearing a real catchers mitt!!! My DD (14) got a new fielders glove for Christmas last year and I helped her break it in during "bucket time"....that will be the last time I do that! LOL

Jun 24, 2013
It depends. My middle DD was throwing 50+ in rec from 35' at age 10 with 11" ball. I remember one game the ump was behind the plate before the game started without any gear on, during team warmups. In casual conversation with him he mentioned he was debating whether or not to put on his protective gear, since it was rec. I had my DD throw one warmup pitch and he said "I'll be right back. I have to go to my car for my gear. She is now back up to 55+ with the 12" ball and she has gotten the drop well. My big toe is missing half its protective toenail due to a missed drop during warmups at a tourney. Seriously thought I broke 3 toes on that miss.

If it is hard enough to start hurting your hand (which I would estimate starts happening in the 40+ range), it is time to gear up. I remember the snickers from new opposing parents and coaches in rec when i would go out with my face mask on to catch DD. It stopped after the first pitch. My older DD never got above 40 in 10U, but has now crossed the 50 MPH in 12/14U.

Little one (8yo) is in the 30s.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207