What’s consider crow hop/leaping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
Gain ground.
Get release point closer.

This was previously discussed in several threads.
Commented that when given the choice pitchers chose differently
Some no hop = used drag.
Some leap.
Some crow hop.

Would i say there can be an advantage to crow/leap.
Yes.
Would everybody want to do it.
No.

*If pitchers worked with it would some gain an advatage over what they are doing now.
Yes = from being witness to it in the box.
It would crazy timing if a pitcher only leaped sometime.
a 10u pitcher is going to gain enough ground from leaping to gain an advantage? come on......

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
a 10u pitcher is going to gain enough ground from leaping to gain an advantage? come on......

In general I’d say no. Hence my opinion of warnings for the sake of education.

Although I would have loved if my DD leapt at 10u. It would have meant she was actually attempting to stride.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 16, 2019
Reading thread like this made me wondering whether I should ask my DD to start crow hop again. It only been a year and maybe she still could do it. She should still have some muscle memory. I know it is a illegal pitch. But why not if it could help to increase the speed by a couple of miles. I don't want to go back cause after all, crow hop is an illegal pitch. But when competition is so furious, a couple of miles faster sounds so attempting. Thinking about all those hard work and tears when she worked to fix it. If we could go back, I probably wouldn't have tried to fix it

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I would understand if it was a dirt field cause of the hole in the pitching rubber, but this was a turf field, in. Game prior to ours they were calling it, their other pitcher was doing the exact same thing but it was a different set of blues, I guess it was a judgement “call” like the blue said
Yep. Lots of UMPs won’t call it. Especially at 10u.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There is also the difference of say a
10 year trying to leap and pitch.
And that 10 year not trying to but still leaping.

Could a 10 year old purposly leap and gain an advantage.
Could be!
If trying to leap vs. Not trying to i do think a ten year old could gain more ground.

And Its visually different to the batters.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Having tried all three variations as I’ve learned to pitch.... there is a clear advantage to leaping and crow hopping versus having to drag.

I learned to drag first so I could better help DD as she learned. I wanted to feel what she was during the pitch. But, I’ve already begun to transition to pitching with a leap/crow hop.

There’s definitely gaming the game in terms of toe drag. How long does the toe actually stay connected to the ground. Is it off enough for an umpire to call it. If it’s not being called why (as a pitcher) worry about. Etc etc.

My opinion is if it’s part of the rules then a pitcher (of any age) should learn to pitch within the rules. Now....whether it’s a warning or called an IP could vary depending on age bracket. 8U and 10U get more warnings as girls are often first to second year pitchers here. Typically inexperienced coaches and parents as well. 12U+ get more actual IP’s called. I believe the skill level of the league/tournament also needs to be taken into account. Higher end TB gets a shorter leash than say the lower you go in rec league.

Pitching is hard but it’s not so hard not to learn to make your toe drag. What’s hard is dragging the toe with the least amount of weight on it. IE - How can I find the lightest anchor possible without not having an anchor.

Right or wrong....my $0.02 in the short time I’ve been involved with DD and the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to read first hand experience!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
did you also put time and energy into asking the strike zone to be from the armpits to the knees? That is never enforced.
I want the rule book called and in our HS rules, the high strike is below the bottom of the sternum. In TB I wanted the book called. In HS I want the book called. If the book is called, we all know what the strike zone is. I don't understand your position but that is fine. We'll never coach against one another. So, there is that. LOL

May 27, 2013
is that because of an advantage from the leap or is it because that is the way she pitches so that when she changes she slows down because it feels foreign?

I believe it is because she’s a little over 6 feet tall and it gets her that much closer to the plate; she still has great whip without the leap. I also believe that when she lands from the leap she creates more frontside resistance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi