What’s consider crow hop/leaping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
I would love to see a full video of this young lady. Dennis Eckersley’s daughter?
No, Kent Tekulve's!

kent_tekulve_pitching-motion.jpg

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
are you telling me that every umpire adheres to the strike zone as described in the rules? Ha!! You know better!

y'all act like calling it in a game is going to give a 10 year old extra incentive to fix the issue. Listen, a 10 year old will fix the issue if her coach and parent tells her to fix the issue. Additional input from umpires calling her for leaping 50 times during a game is not going to accelerate the process. anyone who thinks so is wrong IMO.
Are you trying to say ley it go completely?
imo
It needs to be acknowledged its wrong
And its the umpires job to do so.
Atleast once a game would be atleast once a game.

Letting it go completely is wrong.

You can be extreme if you need to
LOL CALL IT 50 TIMES,
but your avoiding the point .

Did you want to reply about what age you think the rule should apply to?
When should it matter in your opinion?

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018
Texas
according to the pitching forum folks, this pitcher has zero chance of being any good since they say you can't throw strikes consistently without brush interference so this once will work itself out after she washes out because of ineffectiveness.
I agree she will get washed out and no she didn't throw strikes consistently, but she did put some crazy spins on the ball. Once our girls got over the novelty of it, they crushed her until she was pulled in the 2nd inning.

My concern is that the poor young lady has an adult or adults out there who are contributing to her potentially having her spirit crushed when that happens. I truly am concerned for her. Why would you allow that to happen to a young lady?

Mar 28, 2014
I agree she will get washed out and no she didn't throw strikes consistently, but she did put some crazy spins on the ball. Once our girls got over the novelty of it, they crushed her until she was pulled in the 2nd inning.

My concern is that the poor young lady has an adult or adults out there who are contributing to her potentially having her spirit crushed when that happens. I truly am concerned for her. Why would you allow that to happen to a young lady?
A simple lack of knowledge is all. Fact is, not every parent is crazy enough to spend their spare time on an internet site in order to seek out knowledge and direction for a softball player like we are. Lol....

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
A simple lack of knowledge is all. Fact is, not every parent is crazy enough to spend their spare time on an internet site in order to seek out knowledge and direction for a softball player like we are. Lol....
and IMO that is all the more reason that it should be called in a game. How many times do we hear that 10 and 12U is all about player development?

Mar 28, 2014
Are you trying to say ley it go completely?
imo
It needs to be acknowledged its wrong
And its the umpires job to do so.
Atleast once a game would be atleast once a game.

Letting it go completely is wrong.

You can be extreme if you need to
LOL CALL IT 50 TIMES,
but your avoiding the point .

Did you want to reply about what age you think the rule should apply to?
When should it matter in your opinion?
Yes I think they ought to let it go personally. and before you say "It's in the rule book, etc...... ", well so is the strike zone being from the arm pit down to the knees AND NO ONE CALLS THAT HIGH STRIKE so save that :)

Honestly it is legal everywhere else in the world except here so I think it's only a matter of time until it is deemed to be legal. And trust me, I used to be in the "If it's in the rules then it needs to be called" camp like y'all are. Oh heck yeah, I was President of the Club!! But I have learned that it's not as big a deal as it is made out to be. Leaping really doesn't create an advantage. Now crow hopping is a different story as far as gaining an advantage but we are talking about leaping here. In 10u and 12u I used to watch the other pitcher like a hawk and get in the umpire's ear about it ALL THE TIME. But once DD moved on up, I started to learn about pitching and realize some things and one of those was it's a dumb rule in the first place.

Mar 28, 2014
and IMO that is all the more reason that it should be called in a game. How many times do we hear that 10 and 12U is all about player development?
hey my man you're moving the goalposts on me, we were strictly talking about leaping. No one is saying they shouldn't call that.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes I think they ought to let it go personally. and before you say "It's in the rule book, etc...... ", well so is the strike zone being from the arm pit down to the knees AND NO ONE CALLS THAT HIGH STRIKE so save that :)

Honestly it is legal everywhere else in the world except here so I think it's only a matter of time until it is deemed to be legal. And trust me, I used to be in the "If it's in the rules then it needs to be called" camp like y'all are. Oh heck yeah, I was President of the Club!! But I have learned that it's not as big a deal as it is made out to be. Leaping really doesn't create an advantage. Now crow hopping is a different story as far as gaining an advantage but we are talking about leaping here. In 10u and 12u I used to watch the other pitcher like a hawk and get in the umpire's ear about it ALL THE TIME. But once DD moved on up, I started to learn about pitching and realize some things and one of those was it's a dumb rule in the first place.
:) :):) so what age should it be called?

Oorrrr are you advocating for legal leaping in all of travel?

Played when crow hop and leap were legal.
Then it changed and got cracked down on hard.
Saw the pitchers advantage that was taken away.
Batting averages proved it.

Just sayin,
Saw the affects of umpires applying this rule.

Mar 28, 2014
And what is that gonna change since they are getting away with it, they are gonna keep on doing it since they are getting away with just a meeting after game.
Ok, we just agree to disagree. But you go ahead and stay on those umpires at 10u!!! You can rid the world of these rule breakers!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad