Well, the B team beat the A team.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
We're arguing semantics. When I say 'scrimmage', I'm talking about a practice game. You can keep score if you want, but different teams have different reasons for playing these games. I've got a brand-new team with 8 7u/8u players. 3 of them played 10u in the spring, only 1 made the all-star team. There's a huge jump in the speed of the game from 8u spring rec to 10u fall competitive rec.

Fortunately for us, the other 10u team - which has 6 all-stars and only 1 incoming 8u player - was willing to give us a scrimmage to allow our players to get a taste of 10u game action before our 1st tournament Labor Day Weekend.

It also helped to give the parents some perspective, too, as to why some players are unlikely to see the infield for a while. Sorry, but playing 1B in 8u is not the same as 10u. Unless it's a blowout, we won't be using these tournament games as experimental time - that's what scrimmages are for.

Jul 26, 2010
I see this happen all the time. Usually, it's great for the underdog, not so great for the team that thought they were in the shoe-in. Now they are at a fork in the road. They can whine about it, or they can use it as a kick in the backside and learn from it. Moments like these define people, lets see just what kind of girls these are, eh?

-W

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Last year, the organization set up a scrimmage between our 14U team and their 16U team. Presumably it was to give the 16U coaches a chance to look at who was coming up. Our 14s beat the 16s 5-2 (or somewhere around there), and we used all three of our pitchers so it wasn't like we threw our Ace and they threw their dregs.

The next day, the 16U team was running sprint after sprint at a practice that hadn't been on the schedule. We did not scrimmage them this year.

It should have been the coaches running the sprints. Punishment running is BS as far as I'm concerned and shows a clear lack of preparation and leadership from the adults, not from the kids. IMHO.

Apr 13, 2010
It's a disaster if you're supposed to win easily and you get beat. Not sure I would do it.

How about this though.

In 10U my daughter was playing "B". They met the "A" team in the championship game at a tournament. The "B" team was leading after the time allotted for all the other games but unbeknownst to the newbie "B" parents since this was a championship game the game had to go 7. "B" team lost. "A" team was embarrassed the "B" team was so competitive and they were in the lower half of the brackets at the tourney in the first place.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Maybe I take things a little more serious than others. But if my team is playing / scrimmaging / practice game / we ARE keeping score. How else are you to measure your winning spread? So are we not to keep records of strike outs, errors, homeruns, walks, etc too????

Come on folks....... sports are competitive....... if keeping score bothers you maybe you should play in the band instead.

Jan 24, 2011
It should have been the coaches running the sprints. Punishment running is BS as far as I'm concerned and shows a clear lack of preparation and leadership from the adults, not from the kids. IMHO.

How do we know what the preparation was? Maybe the girls were just lazy , put forth little effort and didnt perform well that day. The coaches cant do everything for them. Nothing wrong with some punishment running in those situations (especially for a 16u team)

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2010
Come on folks....... sports are competitive....... if keeping score bothers you maybe you should play in the band instead.

I have a daughter in band. They keep score there too. It was almost more painful to see her rejected by the "A" team in band then it was to see it for my softball daughter.

Also, she's in marching band. That's pretty competitive and takes a lot of work on the kids part.

Feb 3, 2011
Maybe I take things a little more serious than others. But if my team is playing / scrimmaging / practice game / we ARE keeping score. How else are you to measure your winning spread? So are we not to keep records of strike outs, errors, homeruns, walks, etc too????

If you want to take great pride in winning a practice game, that's your call. I just don't put that much value on things that don't matter.

I keep a book on every game we play, but that's because I'm interested in what our individual players are doing at the plate and I track the defense as well. Some infield combinations work better than others and practice innings are effective in helping to sort that out before the real games begin.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Why do people on here keep bringing up the band as if its a place for the non competitive, its sounds almost like it considered a place for losers. Both of my kids are in band. Frankly if we had to choose between sports and band, my heart would say sports but my head says band. The academic benefits are well documented, and frankly the schoolwork is more important then the sports.

Band kids work hard, band kids compete with other bands. Band kids go to solo and ensemble competitions to compete against kids from all over the State. I wish some of my dds teamates worked as hard as the band kids work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC