Well, the B team beat the A team.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Momo'sDad, that is because YOUR the underdog.. now lets jump ahead and your the vetrean 10U team doing very well in your league, and the 8U's want to scrimmage you because they are moving up....and they beat you. Now what?

And I would NEVER scrimmage another team within my own Organization, just not worth it with all the possible drama.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
If you want to take great pride in winning a practice game, that's your call. I just don't put that much value on things that don't matter.

If a scrimmage game " doesn't matter ".........then why even play it? Go ahead and tell a group of teenage girls " it doesn't matter " and you'll get a " doesn't matter effort ".

I didn't mean to offend any band members or parents. It's an inside joke around my house because my DD has lots of friends in the band and I always lovingly tease them. I'm also an annual contributor to our high school band, 2 years ago they placed 2nd in the USSSBA National Championship.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Maybe I take things a little more serious than others. But if my team is playing / scrimmaging / practice game / we ARE keeping score. How else are you to measure your winning spread? So are we not to keep records of strike outs, errors, homeruns, walks, etc too????

Come on folks....... sports are competitive....... if keeping score bothers you maybe you should play in the band instead.

During our pre-season HS scrimmage games I noticed no one was running the scoreboard so I took a seat and started running it. Along about the 3rd inning the plate umpire told me not to put runs on the scoreboard because we weren't allowed to keep score during scrimmage games.

Scrimmages should be used for finding where your team's skills are. If utilized properly you will get players playtime at various positions, for example. In scrimmages you don't necessarily keep a scorebook. You can put players in the game at will, without regard to normal game rules.

It's either a scrimmage or it's a game. There is a difference. Some people may not know the true purpose of scrimmages. Some may even believe their team won a game. If they didn't learn anything from the scrimmage about their players or coaches they missed a golden opportunity.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
During our pre-season HS scrimmage games I noticed no one was running the scoreboard so I took a seat and started running it. Along about the 3rd inning the plate umpire told me not to put runs on the scoreboard because we weren't allowed to keep score during scrimmage games.

Scrimmages should be used for finding where your team's skills are. If utilized properly you will get players playtime at various positions, for example. In scrimmages you don't necessarily keep a scorebook. You can put players in the game at will, without regard to normal game rules.

It's either a scrimmage or it's a game. There is a difference. Some people may not know the true purpose of scrimmages. Some may even believe their team won a game. If they didn't learn anything from the scrimmage about their players or coaches they missed a golden opportunity.

We do pre-season scrimmages and we play HS pre-season tournaments. And we have official NFHS umpires and we keep score. I can't imagine that if we are paying an umpire, they would have the guts to say " no keeping score "?

And maybe things are done different in various places of the country. I've played a lot of ball over the years and through the college level. If we scrimmaged a team it was to see how our starting line up handled the game, and didn't move players all over the place. ( maybe substituting 2nd string with 1st string on certain positions later on, but we didn't just move a pitcher to SS to see how he/she played for example)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
We do pre-season scrimmages and we play HS pre-season tournaments. And we have official NFHS umpires and we keep score. I can't imagine that if we are paying an umpire, they would have the guts to say " no keeping score "?

And maybe things are done different in various places of the country. I've played a lot of ball over the years and through the college level. If we scrimmaged a team it was to see how our starting line up handled the game, and didn't move players all over the place. ( maybe substituting 2nd string with 1st string on certain positions later on, but we didn't just move a pitcher to SS to see how he/she played for example)

I think it all depends a lot on the level of play. An 18-gold scrimage against the next town over 18-gold is likely to be treated much differently from U12 B-level all-star team that's just been formed scrimmaging the U14 from the same org.

Not all scrimmiges are created equal. Some are to get practice at near game condition like you describe, some are to try players out at new positions when the results don't count and some are just to see who can play what position.

Oct 25, 2009
I think it all depends a lot on the level of play. An 18-gold scrimage against the next town over 18-gold is likely to be treated much differently from U12 B-level all-star team that's just been formed scrimmaging the U14 from the same org.

Not all scrimmiges are created equal. Some are to get practice at near game condition like you describe, some are to try players out at new positions when the results don't count and some are just to see who can play what position.

Exactly. Scrimmages don't normally count in any kind of permanent record. The purpose is normally to see what you have. Our State HS Association requires the use of umpires. As a matter of fact, the scrimmages are usually used for umpires to sharpen their skills. We may have close to a dozen umpires who rotate innings behind the plate and in the field. Keeping official score is not allowed. Anyone, of course, can and do keep their own score. Both teams know who "won" but both teams realize the purpose of a scrimmage. Our ace pitcher isn't upset when we put in the 2nd or 3rd pitcher. The other position players are aware that it is a scrimmage.

We try to get the best (based on prediction) teams we can to scrimmage. It's competitive, but usually friendlier than "real" games. Everyone is trying their best because their best could mean they're a starter, 2nd string, or JV. We even have JV players sometimes that play in these scrimmages.

There's a difference between scrimmages, pre-season, and regular season.

Oct 25, 2009
Maybe I take things a little more serious than others. But if my team is playing / scrimmaging / practice game / we ARE keeping score. How else are you to measure your winning spread? So are we not to keep records of strike outs, errors, homeruns, walks, etc too????

Come on folks....... sports are competitive....... if keeping score bothers you maybe you should play in the band instead.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone didn't include HRs and other stats from scrimmage games in their official stats. Scrimmages are practices. You can find out about player skill levels without risking your season record, for example.

If you already know your ace pitcher or ss, for instance, you can put in a player you don't know as well and see how they perform. If they perform really bad maybe the other team will be one of those who count those stats and you can help boost a player's numbers on the other team. :}

Heck, there are probably HRs in an afternoon practice that get put in the stats, as far as that goes.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone didn't include HRs and other stats from scrimmage games in their official stats. Scrimmages are practices. You can find out about player skill levels without risking your season record, for example.

If you already know your ace pitcher or ss, for instance, you can put in a player you don't know as well and see how they perform. If they perform really bad maybe the other team will be one of those who count those stats and you can help boost a player's numbers on the other team. :}

Heck, there are probably HRs in an afternoon practice that get put in the stats, as far as that goes.

I don't know of anyone or a HS program that includes "scrimmage" stats in "season" stats. But you're right, I'm sure somewhere it is done.

Now.......... we will keep an official book on all scrimmages, season and pre-season tourneys. But it's more to see who has a hot bat, good fielding %, and era. Those figures might decide a close call on 2 evenly matched players for position. It also helps tweak the batting line up and opens a slot for a good DP.

Jan 31, 2011
My experience is this: Never play a team younger than your's from the same town or organization. For the older team its a lose-lose situation. If you win, big deal. If you lose, you'll never hear the end of it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC