Weight Transfer...Part of the Swing or Preparation?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
You are correct that Pujols' front foot lands a few inches forward. I also agree that 8 - 10 year olds don't have the motor skills to learn a lot of the stuff that is discussed on here. Kids at that age need to just play and have fun.

I disagree that 8 - 10 year olds should not be taught proper hitting mechanics. Many of the girls I see have been playing for several years by age 8. Once they ingrain poor mechanics, it's that much harder to correct. For example, my DD has a bad habit of breaking the wrists at ball impact, many times resulting in weak grounders, instead of driving through the ball and hitting more line drives. Now she and I need to spend many hours re-working her swing. Why not teach them the proper fundamentals from day one?

Bucketpapi

Banned
May 28, 2008
I see balanced as the hips rotating on a centerline axis with the front side firming up as an opposing force pushing back at the rotating hip thus generating torso or oblique torq accelerating bat speed in the beginning of the swing but not being the sole propellant of bat speed once the foundation is set the second bat head accellerant is applied by the top hand applying linear forces on the ball untill extension is achieved . These are merely my observations through years of study. For right now I am sticking with it since it appears to work extremely well. I am here to pick you guys brains of as much knowledge I can gain. Always the student. Thanks for the replies

If everyone could understand this simple concept.
But no, we have to invent new terminology so we can make ourselves look a "Lewis and Clark" of the baseball/softball swing. If we can't understand the concepts our "Hitting Guru of the day" puts forth, then they must be correct.
Oh, and by we I mean them (the gurus, you know who you are).

Well put HittingGuru.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
load/slide

I coach a 10u fastpitch team, they seem to absorb everything and wont have trouble with mechanics, but I want to make sure I get it right. Can anyone break down the Stride/slide phase. I have been having them load their hands back at the same time they stride, and having them slightly round/lower the front shoulder while raising the back shoulder causing their back elbow to rise up toward catcher. even on nonstrikes.(so they are ready to shift wt/swing) is this correct? At heel plant I start their rotation of hips/shoulders (shoulder tilt, back elbow lowers into slot and on into rotation, etc.

Oct 29, 2008
Dargoncoach:

I think what you are doing is appropriate for 10U. You really want your hitters to get acustomed to the individual movements of the swing.

Over the next year or two, you'll want to gradually wean them to more of a continuous movement through the swing.

Put as simply as possible, a great swing is a loading phase, followed by an unloading phase. With some overlap. By that I mean, the shoulders / hands are still loading even as weight is being transferred, momentum is being created in a forward direction, and the lower body is beginning to rotate.

Put even more simply, the swing is one continuous movement.

Think of a golfer, and how the best ones look extraordinarily smooth as they swing. They are said to have great TEMP through a series of ballistic movement. Looks like one long graceful movement. Part of the reason for that is that all of the pieces work together at the apporopriate times and in the correct ways. This is referred to as rythym.

The softball swing is no different.

The great advantage of developing a swing like this is that it will have a number of built-in timing mechanisms. The hitgter will be more in control because she doesn;t need to stop / start / re-establish impetus all of the time. And can slow / speed-up segments as required to time a pitch.

BUt I would again stress, this starts with the hitter being able to execute the appropriate movements, which it sounds as if you are instilling. As that becomes true for any one hitter, it is time to start challenging them to make the movements more seamless.

To answer your specific question, most of what you are doing is right. But I think that if you study the very best hitters, you'll see that they shift their weight (more accurately their mass) AND begin to rotate INTO heel plant, not after heel plant.

Best regards,

Scott

Oct 29, 2008
Those who marginalize the use of the core should probably look at that Soriano clip andf figure out what he is doing with the rear foot to cause the hips to rotate while the front foot is in the air.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
disconnect or not

Thanks, sounds like Im on track, but meant to ask was a similair question with better wording? Is ist ok for the shoulders to disconnect with the hips during this stride/load phase (hands/shoulders going back at same time hips and some weight going forward with the stride? Mike Candrea video said not to but others imply different (the video was few years old and Im sure Mike as any good coach would be willing to change his mind if their is factual proof backing it up). If Mark and some of the other seinor members would give me their opinion I might start a no swing drill that mimmiks this motion, then later stop then swing, then finally put it all together. Thanks guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi