weight shift forward- drop barrel-drag through zone epidemic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Teacherman- why don't you just join this forum and stop using it to feed yours? Barring that would you respectfully stop reposting content from this site on your board? if people wanted their input posted there I am sure they would join and contribute. If they don't then take it as a sign that I am sure you have seen/heard/felt hundreds of times in your life. Namely that your thought, presence, existence is simply not wanted and you should go elsewhere. I am getting bored of having to police your malware infected site to ensure you are not getting too far out of hand.

May 17, 2012
What I did not see or hear was one coach giving any cues or indication that they see this as a problem or giving any cue to fix it.

Tournament and game time is not the time for hitting analysis. That's what practice and hitting lessons are for. We may video at bats for discussion later but I don't teach hitting during tournaments.

There is simply to much other stuff going on to make any meaningful changes during games.

Games are like exams, either you did your homework or you didn't.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Tournament and game time is not the time for hitting analysis. That's what practice and hitting lessons are for. We may video at bats for discussion later but I don't teach hitting during tournaments.

There is simply to much other stuff going on to make any meaningful changes during games.

Games are like exams, either you did your homework or you didn't.

i'm with you on this ideology. Except this was rec fallball and TB practice I was observing and there were lots of other things being shouted out instructionally so it's absence was noticeable.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In a game situation, hitting instructions should be a reinforcement of previous lessons, not new stuff. For my DD, our current cue is "strong right hand". To anyone else on her team, they wouldn't have any idea what this means.

Jul 17, 2012
Hmmmm.. Let's keep this in perspective. ALL of the rec league coaches are volunteers...like myself. I offered to coach because I know the game. On the other hand.... I persoanally struggle to identify exactly WHY my own DD's swing is horrible. I can hit a ball. Fast pitch...beer league arc.... whatever. Why can't she? Nobody ever broke down the mechanics of a swing for me. I watched baseball on TV and did what I saw. Girls are different. They just are. I lived in the pitching forum on this site for a year.... just recently popped my head into these hitting forums. I'm learning a lot. I feel like I can start to help some of the drop and drag girls on my team. DD is my prototype. Not the most gifted as far as natural agility, but the kid works her @$$ off, because she likes the game, and she wants to be good at it. The lack of natural gifted ability is an epidemic at the rec ball level. But the desire to work at improving exists only in a select few. Most of these kids put the glove and bat away between practices and games, not to be seen again until the next. I see how hard it is with MY kid....nevermind trying to work with a dozen or more others. Let's face it... rec leagues have what... a dozen games...maybe 16 in a season...and they can get in maybe as many practices. Teach 12 or more kids to swing with proper mechanics, throw with proper mechanics, field with proper mechanics, teach the general concept of the game, positions responsibility, baserunning, etc. all in that time frame? Never gunna happen. Not in this lifetime, or the next. Rec league is there for what it is...recreation. Gives kids a chance to play. The ones that take to it...and want to get better, usually get private instruction.....then get to travel ball. The basics are known for the most part at the travel ball level. You can start to work with kids to improve their mechanics in the swing, the throw... they're the best of the best of Rec league.

Jun 29, 2013
Well said, Frozen Rope. Almost everyone here is right factually, I see this with my own DD currently and its a tough habit to break. For the rec ball coach, imagine trying to fix that or something similar with all 12 of your girls, some of whom have parents who try to help and know what they're doing, some who try but don't have the skill or knowledge, some others who think you're the babysitter for 2 hours, and others who know they don't know but are praying you do. I preach the simplest swing, and it is far from perfect but it is one that they can repeat and fix. When their parents decide its time for something more advanced, I stay out of the way and just let them know when there's an obvious flaw.

Oct 25, 2009
Hmmmm.. Let's keep this in perspective. ALL of the rec league coaches are volunteers...like myself. I offered to coach because I know the game. On the other hand.... I persoanally struggle to identify exactly WHY my own DD's swing is horrible. I can hit a ball. Fast pitch...beer league arc.... whatever. Why can't she? Nobody ever broke down the mechanics of a swing for me. I watched baseball on TV and did what I saw. Girls are different. They just are. I lived in the pitching forum on this site for a year.... just recently popped my head into these hitting forums. I'm learning a lot. I feel like I can start to help some of the drop and drag girls on my team. DD is my prototype. Not the most gifted as far as natural agility, but the kid works her @$$ off, because she likes the game, and she wants to be good at it. The lack of natural gifted ability is an epidemic at the rec ball level. But the desire to work at improving exists only in a select few. Most of these kids put the glove and bat away between practices and games, not to be seen again until the next. I see how hard it is with MY kid....nevermind trying to work with a dozen or more others. Let's face it... rec leagues have what... a dozen games...maybe 16 in a season...and they can get in maybe as many practices. Teach 12 or more kids to swing with proper mechanics, throw with proper mechanics, field with proper mechanics, teach the general concept of the game, positions responsibility, baserunning, etc. all in that time frame? Never gunna happen. Not in this lifetime, or the next. Rec league is there for what it is...recreation. Gives kids a chance to play. The ones that take to it...and want to get better, usually get private instruction.....then get to travel ball. The basics are known for the most part at the travel ball level. You can start to work with kids to improve their mechanics in the swing, the throw... they're the best of the best of Rec league.

Not only rec, this describes many HS teams, also.

Jun 23, 2011
NC
This is true for sure, but they dont last long with me, I make that clear from the beginning, but you can do it, takes thick skin but can be done.
There will usually be parents telling their kids to just smile at the coach and do it the way you already know how. Of course, most of the time you will not be aware of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877