Weight is too far back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Some of our hitters (8-9 yr olds) seem to be getting their wt too far back when loaded. I have no video. but a couple of them are well over the inside edge of their back foot. Any suggestions to fix this? Thanks Eric

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Have them try doing it more as a sway rather than a big load. It's a little push back rather than a huge load, sort of a like a dance move. (Explain it to them that way.) All you're really trying to do is get your body in motion so you overcome inertia and transfer the weight more smoothly.

Slower pitching tends to encourage bigger load -- like slow pitch. Don't know how the pitching is where you're playing, but keep that in mind as you look at what they're doing too.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I start them out balanced. They are told to jump up and land, and stay there.

Are they copying someone that they are seeing on TV?

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
I start them out balanced. They are told to jump up and land, and stay there.

Are they copying someone that they are seeing on TV?

They start out balanced but after loading they are too far back. Do you advocate being balanced after load (50/50)? or maybe 40/60? I dont think theyre copying anything?
Ken the pitching speed is all over the map. slower to pretty fast (low 40's) Thanks Eric

Oct 12, 2009
Have them try doing it more as a sway rather than a big load.

In my experience, sometimes swaying can be the problem (or at least how I describe it).

Ryan Ludwick is a baseball player who has this problem and I think it affects his swing a bit...

V_H_HD_BB_Public_RyanLudwick_1B_FO_ToRCFWT_09-123_30FPS_C.gif

Notice how far back his head and everything else moves. You don't see as much rearward movement in good hitters.

One thing to do is to have them just pick up, or just unweight, their front foot without moving everything else back toward the catcher.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
In my experience, sometimes swaying can be the problem (or at least how I describe it).

Ryan Ludwick is a baseball player who has this problem and I think it affects his swing a bit...

Notice how far back his head and everything else moves. You don't see as much rearward movement in good hitters.

One thing to do is to have them just pick up, or just unweight, their front foot without moving everything else back toward the catcher.

Chris, what is the frame rate of this clip? I want to do some math.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area

Well put, I'll give that a try!

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Grab a bat and get in your batting stance. Use a wide stance like Pujols. Weight 50/50. As you pick up your front foot to go back, straighten/firm up your back leg. Do this several times until you get the correct feel. Now duplicate this same movement in your normal stance.

The key is the back leg. It must firm up as the front foot lifts to go back. Once you try it it'll make perfect sense. Most young kids bend the back leg as they go back, which is the opposite of what they should do.

Go to this article by Epstein and read the paragraph tilted "Stride".
Hitting Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00