14U - please critique - thanks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
Here are a couple of new vids!
Here is what I initially see.

1. her arm goes behind her back on the backswing.
2. her landing foot is good and timing of her arm at 9:00 looks good but she remains a little too open at landing causing all pitches to go inside.

I will attempt to fix the arm backswing first per BoardMember's previous texts and see what results I get first to see if it also helps with the landing.
Here are 2 links to a couple videos:
14U - fast peel
14U - change-up

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We really can't see much from the videos. You need a video directly behind her and a second video from 3B.

Her big problem is lack of leg drive, not whether she is open or closed to much. Work on that.

Generally, you are going down the rabbit hole of trying to fix every little mechanical flaw.

E.g., you are wasting your time messing around with her back swing and whether she is too open or too closed. She does not have a significant flaw in her motion. You could waste hours on these things.

She needs to work on moving the ball around the strike zone 4 inches at a time...which is something she has to learn but you can't teach. You have to practice it with her, and you have to make her focus on moving the ball around the strike zone.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019
She needs to work on moving the ball around the strike zone 4 inches at a time...which is something she has to learn but you can't teach. You have to practice it with her, and you have to make her focus on moving the ball around the strike zone.
Can you explain what moving the ball around the zone 4” at a time means?
Walkthoughs and then a gym step. Get her to explode off the rubber.
What’s a gym step?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Can you explain what moving the ball around the zone 4” at a time means?

What’s a gym step?

A softball is about 4 inches (3.8 exactly) in diameter.

Good pitchers think in terms of ball diameter when discussing location. As in, "I want the pitch to be one ball off the plate" or "I want the pitch one ball on the plate."

The strike zone is a rectangle. So, the pitcher starts at say the low inside corner and then moves across the plate one ball width at a time to the low outside corner and then works up the high outside corner, and so on.

The starting place for learning control is the quadrant drill. The kid throw inside and low, then outside and low, then outside and high, then inside and high...over and over and over again.

At the beginning, it doesn't matter if the pitches are strikes or balls...the point is for her to get a feel for moving the ball right, left, up and down.

You do this for 100 pitches, and when she can throw to each quadrant in sequence, the you start mixing it up. Low, inside, high outside, low outside, low inside, high inside.

When she do this, then you start working on her moving the pitches one ball width around the strike zone. It is impossible for someone to tell your DD how to do it. But, *SHE* can learn how to do it.

It is a lot of work. She isn't going to learn this in a couple of days or a couple of weeks.

----------
Friend of DFP Amanda Scarborough explains it here around the 2:00 mark. She does some "normal" walk throughs and then she does some "throw the ball as hard as possible" walk throughs. Note that when she "throws the ball as hard as possible" there is a little hop forward after release.

Apr 17, 2019
A softball is about 4 inches (3.8 exactly) in diameter.

Good pitchers think in terms of ball diameter when discussing location. As in, "I want the pitch to be one ball off the plate" or "I want the pitch one ball on the plate."

The strike zone is a rectangle. So, the pitcher starts at say the low inside corner and then moves across the plate one ball width at a time to the low outside corner and then works up the high outside corner, and so on.

The starting place for learning control is the quadrant drill. The kid throw inside and low, then outside and low, then outside and high, then inside and high...over and over and over again.

At the beginning, it doesn't matter if the pitches are strikes or balls...the point is for her to get a feel for moving the ball right, left, up and down.

You do this for 100 pitches, and when she can throw to each quadrant in sequence, the you start mixing it up. Low, inside, high outside, low outside, low inside, high inside.

When she do this, then you start working on her moving the pitches one ball width around the strike zone. It is impossible for someone to tell your DD how to do it. But, *SHE* can learn how to do it.

It is a lot of work. She isn't going to learn this in a couple of days or a couple of weeks.

----------
Friend of DFP Amanda Scarborough explains it here around the 2:00 mark. She does some "normal" walk throughs and then she does some "throw the ball as hard as possible" walk throughs. Note that when she "throws the ball as hard as possible" there is a little hop forward after release.

Thanks for the explanation, she’s always done the quadrant drill but we’ve never heard of the placement in terms of the ball before. Walk through she’s always find one speed, I like this way better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00