Weight distribution

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
See the current (and many previous) sequencing thread(s).

She’s AB/AF - all back all forward - everything goes at the same time.

Justin Stone has a progression drill that works on sequential movement:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
This is just my .02. she is initiating the sequence with her hands. The hands have to load last. As simple cue of start with the front hip/leg. Would help get the sequence going better. The fact that she loads the hands first means they will unload first. Creating a all back and and all forward. Think of it as creating a lot of slack.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019
This is just my .02. she is initiating the sequence with her hands. The hands have to load last. As simple cue of start with the front hip/leg. Would help get the sequence going better. The fact that she loads the hands first means they will unload first. Creating a all back and and all forward. Think of it as creating a lot of slack.

I have her doing a non-bat drill everyday with a medicine ball where she’s forced to move her hips first, trying to build some muscle memory.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
At toe touch, her swing is already badly leveraged.
20210127-3.jpg
1. The back forearm (top red line) must be flat/level/horizontal (bottom green) at toe touch. You can't do anything but bat drag after that.
2. The bat and bat head (top green) are in the correct position. Don't change that.
3. The rear foot (bottom red line) must be pointed straight to the plate. This backwards position prevents her from finishing her hip rotation and may cause some lunging to front foot as you finish the swing.

Here is the resulting bat drag (hands should never be behind the back elbow at any point)
20210127-4.jpg

Nov 22, 2019
At toe touch, her swing is already badly leveraged.
View attachment 20800
1. The back forearm (top red line) must be flat/level/horizontal (bottom green) at toe touch. You can't do anything but bat drag after that.
2. The bat and bat head (top green) are in the correct position. Don't change that.
3. The rear foot (bottom red line) must be pointed straight to the plate. This backwards position prevents her from finishing her hip rotation and may cause some lunging to front foot as you finish the swing.

Here is the resulting bat drag (hands should never be behind the back elbow at any point)
View attachment 20801

does that the 1st one mean the elbow must be up?

Nov 18, 2015
does that the 1st one mean the elbow must be up?
generally, yes.

To add to the original picture, also draw a line across the shoulders - notice how her shoulders are already pointing up at toe touch? It should be the opposite - a slight inward turn / downward angle of the shoulders. Just by changing the shoulder angle, you'll probably see the elbow come up, w/o even focusing on it.

This will allow the back shoulder to work under the front shoulder during the swing. If the front shoulder is already starting "up", the next direction tends to be "out" as the back shoulders comes "around". See the Rendon swing images in the "Hip/Shoulder Separation" thread for an idea of how the front shoulder goes "back" rather than "out".

And yeah, sometimes I use "quotes" a little too much...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06