We are "that team" !!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
One of a softball parents most embarrassing moments.. DD is pick pitcher for State championship. We are at practice with this team and us moms are talking about the tournament both teams played in on Sat. One mother starts talking about a situation where a coach called time, walked on the field and drew a line in the dirt and proceeds to chastise the 12u player about not charging when batter squares to bunt. This mom talked about how quiet the field was because everyone was shocked at how this coach was humiliating the little girl. Long story short.. was my DD's TB team she was talking about.

We were that team that people are talking... :/ not sure what to say to coach if anything at all..

Oct 25, 2009
We're talking TB. If she's a 3rd baseman she's probably tough enough. Unless the coach was overdoing the "chastising" what's the problem? Or should the coach have waited for a few successful bunts that inning to let her learn the hard way?

Don't be "that" parent.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2012
West US
Pick up pitcher for state championship?? Teams should, at some point, play their own players and have the roster to do it! At metros one team forfeited after an ejection because they were down to 8, another used a 16u rostered player and won.

It's really no longer about the best team, but the coach who puts the best roster together for a tournament.

Crazy Softball Guy

Casual Observer
May 31, 2013
One of a softball parents most embarrassing moments.. DD is pick pitcher for State championship. We are at practice with this team and us moms are talking about the tournament both teams played in on Sat. One mother starts talking about a situation where a coach called time, walked on the field and drew a line in the dirt and proceeds to chastise the 12u player about not charging when batter squares to bunt. This mom talked about how quiet the field was because everyone was shocked at how this coach was humiliating the little girl. Long story short.. was my DD's TB team she was talking about.

We were that team that people are talking... :/ not sure what to say to coach if anything at all..

Is this how the coach normally behaves? Was the opposing team bunting/showing bunt repeatedly and was the third base player not crashing? Probably not the ideal way to handle it by wasting a timeout and walking on the field, but if that is how he is, there's not a whole lot you can do.

My concern would be why he had to resort to such extremes in the first place. By 12U, especially in TB, girls should have had the proper coaching by the time they step out on that field. Crashing on a bunt is pretty basic defensive stuff...

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I guess we are "that team" too. Also 12U (first year), our HC is loud and gruff in general. He will get on the girls pretty good in games when they make mistake, botch a routine play, watch third strike, etc. He loves the game. He has been coaching for 30 years. He has no relatives on the team.

You will hear people say "my kid would never play for him" and things along those lines. It is true not every kid can play for
him, but the ones who do and stay with him get better every year. He is teaching girls to perform under pressure. There is a method to his madness so to speak.

I am the AC and probably biased. My DD plays on the team. In two years she has improved immensely and become a tough hard nosed ball player. Does she get mad or aggrevated when he gets on her? Sure, but she learns from it.

My DD and the other girls give him everything they have come game day. Other parents who's kids are not on the team don't get to see him cut up with the girls before or after practice or tournaments, his softer side so to speak.

Frankly, I don't care what other team's parents think. As long as my daughter is being well coached and is happy on this team we have no need to look for a "sunshine and roses" coach/team where "it's ok, you'll get em next time", is repeated error after error.

I was not at your tournament when your coach got on this girl. I dont know that this girl was humiliated. These other parents are assuming she was. But at 11-12 in TB if you are not crashing on a bunt, something should be said.

You also should consider these parents could be putting a bug in your ear about your DD's current coach to recruit her away. If she is good enough to be picked up, they probably want her permanently.

Sorry to rant on your post, just hit close to home.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It is true not every kid can play for
him, but the ones who do and stay with him get better every year.

How many haven't stayed with him? Players are going to get better every year if they keep playing. I've never found that getting on kids for making routing physical errors is helpful. But if players believe that a coach likes and cares about them, then the style doesn't matter as much. That's the key.

Nov 29, 2009
How many haven't stayed with him? Players are going to get better every year if they keep playing. I've never found that getting on kids for making routing physical errors is helpful. But if players believe that a coach likes and cares about them, then the style doesn't matter as much. That's the key.

Exactly!!!! I've taken a bite out of my players more times than I can count. But it always involves three parts.

Telling them what they did wrong. Giving them the fix so they don't repeat the mistake. Then giving them the encouragement that I still have confidence in their abilities. I ALWAYS make it about the play, NEVER about them. I have found this style works well with young female players. Some parents who don't understand the process listen without understanding the message.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN

I have to respectfully disagree. Of the girls who left, I don't believe they have advanced as much as the ones who stayed or the new girls who made the team last fall. This is my opinion of course and I have seen these girls play several times this season.

Errors will happen, that's why there is a stat kept. Not sure what your definition is for a routine physical error, but I believe any error (mental or physical) is directly related to a lack of focus. In most games the team who commits the least amount of errors will win.

To achieve greatness as a ball player or anything for that
matter, do you not have to expect greatness from yourself? I don't see a problem with a coach who expects greatness and teaches these young ladies to expect it from themselves and holds them responsible for their actions. All are important life lessons if you ask me.

As an aside, while trying out for MS ball the head coach asked my DD where she played TB. When she told him the head coach told her, "If you can play for him, you can play for anybody. " Not a bad reputation to have :)

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2013
Players are different and what one kid responds to another kid won't. Generally speaking players that have parents with your mindset JDaddy will play better with that type of coach. More passive parents have the players that need sunshine and roses showered on them to play better. My dd responds to aggressive coaching a lot better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors