Watching a game on TV

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am watching a D1 game on TV and I must say that 4 out of 5 of the pitchers have been awful. It is no wonder that the young girls are learning bad habits, if this is who they are watching.

It's not illegal pitches, but bad form, like letting the glove swim out or hitting themselves (with the glove) on the back of the hip. One young lady just took a line drive to the midsection because she doesn't attempt to get her glove up.

Also, there are some very sloppy plays and poor base running going on.

I also noticed a number of girls twisting their shoulders side to side, when running. What gives with that?

Not good when the game is being televised.

Oct 22, 2009
I am watching a D1 game on TV and I must say that 4 out of 5 of the pitchers have been awful. It is no wonder that the young girls are learning bad habits, if this is who they are watching.

It's not illegal pitches, but bad form, like letting the glove swim out or hitting themselves (with the glove) on the back of the hip. One young lady just took a line drive to the midsection because she doesn't attempt to get her glove up.

Also, there are some very sloppy plays and poor base running going on.

I also noticed a number of girls twisting their shoulders side to side, when running. What gives with that?

Not good when the game is being televised.

I'm with you, I hate it when I tell pitchers to watch the games then the pitchers show sloppy form.
As far as the shoulders in base running--They are on TV, they are trying to do the Runway Cat walk model stroll very quickly!!!

Mar 15, 2010
UH v Tulsa had some very poor play. 2nd game drop third strike, catcher tries to make throw with runner at least 3/4 down the line, perhaps more, misses, runner on 2nd. No way you make that throw, eat the ball and hold her to a single. On a different play the left fielder makes a dive for a ball a couple of feet inside the foul line. No backup. If she stays upright she holds the girl to a single. If memory serves correct this resulted in a double. I appreciate aggressive play when it is smart not when it results in errors that hurt the team.

Jan 27, 2010
First time this year I've seen Michigan play and I believe that Jordan Taylor is probably illegal on 90% of her pitchs with her little spring step she takes. When she drops down and springs up her pivot foot leaves the rubber prior to push off. Did anyone else see this game and your thoughts on her losing contact with the rubber.(pitchers plate)

Sep 10, 2009
Houston
First time this year I've seen Michigan play and I believe that Jordan Taylor is probably illegal on 90% of her pitchs with her little spring step she takes. When she drops down and springs up her pivot foot leaves the rubber prior to push off. Did anyone else see this game and your thoughts on her losing contact with the rubber.(pitchers plate)

I agree with you

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Cheating/illegal? Same could be said about walking and traveling in the NBA. ( it never gets called ) It's all about the mighty $$. What terrible examples some are setting for our kids.

I agree on the Michigan pitcher you definitely can see daylight under both feet on the last little hop. It would seem to be that this form is counterproductive anyway. When she comes out of the glove and extends to the sky she is showing which pitch she is going to throw because of finger placement. Furthermore since all the movement she does is largely cosmetic in nature, it would seem that the risk of maintaining balance at the mound would outweigh any percieved advantage she thinks she gets from it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32