Warm Ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2013
Chicago
I have been coaching for 6 years now with the current breakdown:

4 years rec
3 travel
1st high school

Each year I have increased my win totals from the year before and generally carry over the same core players (as not all parents are insane and realize that you will not always win right away) and have modified warm ups before games every year. I am currently trying to figure out what everyone else believes the best warm ups are (figure you have an hour of time and fairly limited space).

Currently we do our dynamic stretches and stationary stretches followed by throwing (wrist snaps-knee follow through-stand up follow through-catch and more to throwing position-rapid fire), then hitting where the pitchers and catchers go first then get loose (we have 2 bow nets, use one side for soft toss, one side for bunts, use the TCB heavy balls head on and the TCB wiffles with the skilz click-n-hit bat) then go into some fielding. I really want to focus more on the fielding part as we have always been decent hitting teams and we're even better now having the fastest team I've ever had for club. I was thinking the 980 drill for infielders but I'm at a loss for the outfielders.

Any suggestions or what your pregames drills are?

Nov 29, 2009
You're doing a pretty much standard warm-up. Unfortunately, with most tournaments there is just not enough room to warm the outfielders properly. You're stuck sharing a limited space with 4+ other teams all trying to get ready for their games. There are very few venues in the Chicago area where you have the room to work the outfield. Usually when you have the first game of the day you can get some outfield time in.

As for HS. You have the advantage of the whole field when you're home. I would start the outfield first. Try to get a long and short hitting batter going at the same time. Then once the visiting team shows up you move on with your warm-up. If you're the visiting team most times you have less than 30 minutes to get the kids off the bus and game ready. Look at your warm-up routine and split them up to try and get the most reps in during your 15 minutes on the field before the game.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Dynamic warms up - excellent. I'd probably even skip the static stretches and just put in a light jog.

I like the fielding drill Michigan was using last year - everyone with a ball in a couple of lines - when they reach the front of the line, they throw the ball to the coach who then hits it randomly over their heads and they have to make the correct drop step and flyball catch (and join the end of the line). Nice throw, track and catch drill and with two lines you can get throw it pretty quick (even in a small area).
I also like the field nd put in a bucket drills Cadrea does in the ASA videos. Lots of reps in a short time.

Mar 31, 2013
Chicago
The bucket drills are the 980 drills, I like doing that before games and at practice, it's just every day drills and warm ups for the outfielders that is kind of difficult to do. I like most EDDs to be self contained or not needing a coach and most people warm up outfielders by hitting them some pop ups and to be honest I'm not that big a fan of that. I want to make sure that they do their drop steps correctly and have their arms warmed up for long throws.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01