Warm up routine for 10u pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2010
ELYRIA OHIO
In your opinion what is a good warm up routine for 10U pitchers whether it be before they start a game or for a pitch workout at home or practice? Ex. (10 wrist snaps?, 10 throwing from K-position at ½ distance?, 10 pitches while on one knee?, )

I am looking at setting up a routine for my pitchers to do every time before they get all the way back to 35ft. That way any of my coaches or catchers could go grab a pitcher when we need them to get ready to go in to a game and it won't be foreign to them or whoever is catching them.

I just think if I can get them in the mindset of,( coach sent me over to get warmed up, i started and finished my warm-up routine, i'm ready to go in and pitch,) they will benefit. In my opinion it takes their thought process out of the equation. I have warmed up alot of 10u pitchers and they will just stand there and keep throwing to you until you ask them if they are warmed up. You could ask them after 15 pitches or 45 pitches and you will get the same response. It is either "sure coach" or they look at you like "I don't know",you are the coach "Do I look like I'm warmed up". And 80% of the time they are not sure and then that translates into them not being confident about going into the game to throw strikes.

Also what is your thought as to how many pitches per workout 10u girls should be throwing when they are working at practice or with their parents. I think if I could set up a structured pitch count workout for their parents it would help. For example after they are warmed up if they are going to do a 60 pitch workout they could go 12 fastballs/4 change ups, 10/4, 8/4, 6/4, and 4/4 respectively(40/20). Or they could go 12/3, 10/3, 8/3, 6/3, 4/3, 2/3. (42/18).

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated
Shawn

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
This is our routine for 10s

Stretch as a group
Warm up as a group

10 wrist snaps on knee
10 overhand throws on knee
10 overhand throws moving back each couple of throws

From on the knee at about 15’—then pitcher steps two large steps back after every 5. Check hand and ball position.
5 quarter frames
5 half frames
5 three-quarter frames
5 full frames
5 framed change-ups
5 K drills
5 hip rotations (front foot 45 degrees always and insure hips stay closed until catcher catches ball)
5 step-throws

Now to the pitching plate.
15 fast balls
5 change-ups
5 fastballs

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd