Wall sits question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
DD is learning catching and we're working from the NECC DVD one section at a time putting emphasis on getting each section "down" before moving forward too fast (we're still on the first section). The thing is, she just made a travel ball team for the first time ever and when the HC heard she was learning catching her eyes lit up and the AC said, "We only have one catcher so I'll teach her everything I know! I was a catcher in college!" So, needless to say, DD is very motivated and excited and wants to do relative exercises to the position.

DD had a huge growth spurt over the past half a year (she's 13 and BIG) and had a knee sprain a few months ago but she's fine now. I've read that wall sits may not be a good exercise for those with knee issues. What are the recommendations regarding this drill while girls are at this growing stage? Are growth spurts grouped into the "knee issues" category?

Jan 7, 2013
Wall sits are fine if DD is not pushing against the wall. The wall should only be used for balance, with more emphasis on maintaining a parallel position to the ground with her thigh muscles. If pushing against the wall, she's stressing the knees. Keep in mind catching in general isn't knee friendly, but with proper form and technique, that shouldn't prevent a a girl with desire from taking it on.

Also, DD attended the NECC's camp in NH a couple weeks ago. Not once did Jay ask them to do a wall sit. He stressed getting into the "Runners on" stance during commercials. I asked DD to alternate between runners on and no runners stances during commercials. She says she does when I'm not looking (lol).

I read, or was told, don't remember, that it would take about a year for DD to develop the strength in her leg muscles for catching. I didn't believe it at first, but I must say 8 months into her catching, DD seems to just now seems to be getting comfortable dropping into a stance without fidgeting too much.

One other thing... Overheard one of Jay's staff tell DD when she was strolling across the field that "Catcher's don't walk!!". Since then if I see her slacking I'll bark it out, and she just knowingly smiles and picks up the pace.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
I don't understand what you mean by "commercials." Was the camp presented via video?

Anyway, yeah, I tell my DD the same thing..."no walking on the field!" Thanks for the input.

Apr 1, 2010
Don't do wall sits when a game is coming up. Have her do a lot of wall sits during the off season to build up her strength and then just try to maintain during the season. When she's catching pitchers in practice (and practicing at home during commerials as sb03dad mentioned), she should alternate between the runners on and no runners on stances.

She'll have a lot of fun if her coaches ever have the team as a whole hold themselves down in fielding position/do wall sits, etc. Catchers just LOVE watching their teammates collapse with jelly legs while they're still going strong! And IMO it gives the other players a better appreciation for their catchers.

Adding explanation: NECC suggests catchers use tv commercials to practice their stance. If a kid is watching tv, he/she can practice the stance during each commercial break. It's long enough to get good work in, not so long that it kills them. :) (This is hard for us, since we're used to simply skipping past the ads with the tivo remote.)

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My dd has osgood slaughter fairly bad...she says that catching positions stretch in spots that make her knees feel better. She had a speed/agility coach last year that had her doing crazy wall sits, long times, one legged, one legged tossing a med ball. She never had any knee problems from that.
Now blocking...she will occasionally land on the sore bumps under her knees, and that really diminishes her desire to block for awhile. :(

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
Adding explanation: NECC suggests catchers use tv commercials to practice their stance. If a kid is watching tv, he/she can practice the stance during each commercial break. It's long enough to get good work in, not so long that it kills them. :)

Oh, well that makes sense now. What if she doesn't watch TV but is on the Ipod all day? :)

Jul 10, 2013
Nothing beats the real thing. Tell your DD to find out where girls go for pitching lesson, Talk to the pitching coach and see if your DD can do some catching. Believe me most girls go with dad and he would be more than happy to let your DD catch. No video you can buy can teach your DD what she will learn from pitching lesson. My DD can tell what a pitcher is doing wrong and she knows how to fix it. Never saw that coming when we started but it is a great tool that few catchers have.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
Nothing beats the real thing. Tell your DD to find out where girls go for pitching lesson, Talk to the pitching coach and see if your DD can do some catching. Believe me most girls go with dad and he would be more than happy to let your DD catch. No video you can buy can teach your DD what she will learn from pitching lesson. My DD can tell what a pitcher is doing wrong and she knows how to fix it. Never saw that coming when we started but it is a great tool that few catchers have.

Just emailed the local sports training facility and posed that offer to them. Thanks for the idea! I'll let you know if they us up on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd