waiting and driving the outside pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
DD can rake middle - in. Outside pitch she is early, or
hitting it off end of bat and rolling over. Slowing down in order to make contact. Drills to get her to drive OP? Thanks

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
RH, I don't know the equipment that you have but if you have a front toss screen, then I have a drill I like. We take a screen and place it at an angle where the feeder is off the outside edge of the plate for the hitter. The screen is angled. We take one of those flat cones and place it on the outside edge or slightly in the river and at half of the plate. We have the feeder attempt to put the ball over the cone. We want the hitter to load and hold "controlling the middle" and then drive the ball into the screen. Naturally, the feeder had better stay behind that screen. RH, for me and what I teach, hitting the ball the other way is more about gap to gap. However, what I have found that my hitters gain is that when they aren't on time for that gap shot, they still have the opposite part of the field from gap to foul line to hit the ball. Hope this is helpful.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Ok, so one more drill called "The Progression Drill." Again, this is front toss and we use 3 of those flat cones that are set up in a line from out in front of the plate and borderline river for inside to one over front edge of plate in middle to one middle out and borderline river on the plate away. You should be able to approximate a line then for these cones. We throw inside, middle and away. We have target area that the ball must be hit in. That middle ball is expected to hit the screen protecting the feeder. We want the feeder to try to keep the same speed on the ball and we want the feeder to show the ball, take it away from the hitter and then deliver the ball so that the hitter has a consistent way to work on timing pitches.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
hitting it off end of bat and rolling over. Slowing down in order to make contact. Drills to get her to drive OP? Thanks

Without seeing the swing it’s a guess. Could be staying back too much. Could be early barrel commitment. No adjustability in the pendulum.

If balanced should be able to go get the outside pitch and not have to ‘let’ it travel. Maybe not holding the floor long enough. Sequence off? Do you tell her an outside pitch is coming and she still can’t square it? Like I said it’s a guess. Need some vid RH.

She might just lack direction in her swing. I’m just guessing. Too me that’s the easiest one to hit. Way more time to see and adjust too.

Dec 16, 2019
Put a ball off the outside part of the plate about even with the inside part if get front knee. Throw her front toss outside pictures and tell her to let the ball get even with the ball on the ground or the inside part of her front knee before she swings or just set a tee up deeper in the zone and have her drive about 10-15 pitches the other way staying inside the ball and attacking the inside seam

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Thanks guys. Worked on yesterday and saw some progress.
Yes W=W it is early commitment. Everything is early. Foot strike is early so the "load and hold" position helps. She needs to trust her hands. LOL. SHe has not been late on a pitch in a years and that girl was throwing 60+ and she didd foul some straight back and work a walk. She is on the small side using a 31' bat and with the ump giving a generous outside corner she does need to let it travel some.
Tried the upside down top hand drill too.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thanks guys. Worked on yesterday and saw some progress.
Yes W=W it is early commitment. Everything is early. Foot strike is early so the "load and hold" position helps. She needs to trust her hands. LOL. SHe has not been late on a pitch in a years and that girl was throwing 60+ and she didd foul some straight back and work a walk. She is on the small side using a 31' bat and with the ump giving a generous outside corner she does need to let it travel some.
Tried the upside down top hand drill too.

If she is having a hard time holding her posterior load into launch, which it sounds like to me, ask for a better hold of the floor or staying in the back heel for as long as possible.

Of course all this is just my best guess without video.

Dec 19, 2019
Oklahoma
One of my favorite drills is to short screen toss really slow. Make the hitter wait with weight back and challenge them to hit the ball directly across from them into the net. This is a Tony Gwynn drill. It teaches you to let the ball travel and trust your hands. If a hitter can wait that long they realize they can hit the ball the other way. They may wait too long at first or even be out front a bit but keep challenging them. Make them understand its more of a success if they miss the ball because they let it travel then to hit the ball up the middle or even to Left or right center. Also, focus where a hitter makes contact with the ball instead of telling a hitter to wait. If a hitter is to drive the ball to opposite field they should be hitting the inside portion of the ball. Derek Jeter was amazing at this. If you hit the inside portion of the ball its impossible to pull it and be early. This makes you wait on the ball. Just telling a hitter to wait doesn't work. Teach them how to wait and that's putting the focus on what part of the ball to hit! Good luck!
Coach B

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
One of my favorite drills is to short screen toss really slow. Make the hitter wait with weight back and challenge them to hit the ball directly across from them into the net. This is a Tony Gwynn drill. It teaches you to let the ball travel and trust your hands. If a hitter can wait that long they realize they can hit the ball the other way. They may wait too long at first or even be out front a bit but keep challenging them. Make them understand its more of a success if they miss the ball because they let it travel then to hit the ball up the middle or even to Left or right center. Also, focus where a hitter makes contact with the ball instead of telling a hitter to wait. If a hitter is to drive the ball to opposite field they should be hitting the inside portion of the ball. Derek Jeter was amazing at this. If you hit the inside portion of the ball its impossible to pull it and be early. This makes you wait on the ball. Just telling a hitter to wait doesn't work. Teach them how to wait and that's putting the focus on what part of the ball to hit! Good luck!
Coach B
Just saw this today. POSTURE

- How To Have Opposite Field Power [Jessie Harper Hitting Mechanics]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13