volleyball and softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
The one thing I have seen with kids who play volleyball is the overhand spike throw from volleyball. It takes several weeks to get back to good overhand throwing mechanics once they are done with the VB season.

As for basketball. I have seen sooo many girls lose softball opportunities from torn ACL's I've lost count. I lost a player last year over the winter to a torn ACL. She was a speedy slapper who lost an entire season of recruiting exposure because of it.

Amen Sparky Guy. more than half my players are VB year round tournament players. so I do not have the repair window, so when they throw, they spike each other the ball. Stand tall, no follow through.

On top of that most also DaNcE, so they prance around the field, and run down fly balls on their tip toes.

Nov 3, 2012
Amen Sparky Guy. more than half my players are VB year round tournament players. so I do not have the repair window, so when they throw, they spike each other the ball. Stand tall, no follow through.

On top of that most also DaNcE, so they prance around the field, and run down fly balls on their tip toes.

My DD biggest problem with throwing is she throws it down at their feet, like a spike. She was really bad during the first tournament as, she had two throwing errors in the dirt. She's tall and likes throwing over the top. Hardest throw for her is picking up the bunt, as we try to get her to throw from the side an stay low. She always stands up and over the top.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
DD had made the Varsity/JV Team as a sophomore. However, she only practiced with the Varsity. She showed up one day with a big strawberry on her bottom side. The coach asked what happened and so dd told her that she got that strawberry playing TB. DD had not sought out the trainer, had not complained about doing any of the pre practice stretching and running, ... Coach got furious. Made a comment that she had had it with softball players. DD had been the "Underclass Black and Red Award Winner" her freshman year which is given to the top underclass player who was not on the varsity. (Top blocker and outside hitter) DD did not miss one practice and did not play one second. She was "the example" to others about playing softball. My wife and I didn't miss one game and sat there every match to support her. She was the only player in the system at any level who did not play one second. Who does that to a kid? The end result was that the next year, she went out for golf and so, I got one of my top 4 golfers for the those next two years.

Nov 3, 2012
DD had made the Varsity/JV Team as a sophomore. However, she only practiced with the Varsity. She showed up one day with a big strawberry on her bottom side. The coach asked what happened and so dd told her that she got that strawberry playing TB. DD had not sought out the trainer, had not complained about doing any of the pre practice stretching and running, ... Coach got furious. Made a comment that she had had it with softball players. DD had been the "Underclass Black and Red Award Winner" her freshman year which is given to the top underclass player who was not on the varsity. (Top blocker and outside hitter) DD did not miss one practice and did not play one second. She was "the example" to others about playing softball. My wife and I didn't miss one game and sat there every match to support her. She was the only player in the system at any level who did not play one second. Who does that to a kid? The end result was that the next year, she went out for golf and so, I got one of my top 4 golfers for the those next two years.

My DD again is a green freshman this year, and is reluctant to tell her volleyball coach that she plays softball. This is do to some of the stories she's heard from upper classman softball players who were treated poorly, didnt make the team or basically discriminated against because they play softball. Were playing our out of town softball tournament next week so she'll miss summer volleyball practices next week. She's going to tell her coach she's on vacation (which is frowned upon) and not that she's not a softball tournament. Go figure.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Softball scholar, I know it happens a lot. BB came along after the previous 4 years were filled in the volleyball program with about 60% softball players. I think that this coach had had it. However, it wasn't like she didn't know that BB started varsity softball as a freshman the year before. I'll tell you this, it is hard to watch a child work that hard and not get one second on the court. What made it even harder was her friends asked her and us why BB wasn't starting.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd played volleyball, basketball, and softball for the HS and travel sorftball as well. Her volleyball coach didn't treat her bad because of softball, she treated her bad because she was in band, her junior year went from starting to benched after a mandatory band performance. After junior season I asked my dd if she was going to skip VB her senior year and she told me that no one not even a coach was going to keep her from doing what she wanted. She wound up starting her senior year as setter and was named to the local paper's top 25 players list for both Volleyball and Softball. And she never had an injury from VB that carried over to softball. 4 years, 3 sports and didn't miss a game or practice due to injury. In fact she was diagnosed and hospitalized for type 1 diabetes in the week off between volleyball and basketball her freshman year so she didn't even miss a practice for that either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd