volleyball and softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The issue is the v-ball hitting coaches that teach the straight arm, wrist snap methods. Attempting the crazy arm speed drills with a straight arm is hard on the shoulder and elbow.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Seriously, it makes sense that there might be a correlation between injury and vball/softball athletes, but I still say that you gotta do what you love, and love what you do. Be careful, be knowledgeable and listen to the body. Pushing yourself to be the best you can be and over-doing it is a balancing act. Rest is a good thing and can't be overlooked or pushed aside.

Dec 7, 2011
So my DD was varsity VB hitter and varsity SB pitcher and her back got a stress fracture junior year and a bad SI joint senior year.

I am not fully supporting the direct relationship here per say but DD is a data point.

I always wanted DD to stop VB - but she loved it so.......

Nov 29, 2009
I've heard that too. Something about intense volleyball causing microfractures in the arms that can
cause injuries when you start pitching because of fatigue points in the arms.

At the older ages, I don't think the teams allow pitchers to play travel volleyball but other positions can.
We've seen more injuries from basketball though, from broken fingers and ankle sprains.

The one thing I have seen with kids who play volleyball is the overhand spike throw from volleyball. It takes several weeks to get back to good overhand throwing mechanics once they are done with the VB season.

As for basketball. I have seen sooo many girls lose softball opportunities from torn ACL's I've lost count. I lost a player last year over the winter to a torn ACL. She was a speedy slapper who lost an entire season of recruiting exposure because of it.

May 13, 2012
DD getting mri on shoulder right now. Just finished HS vb and fall tb. Hope it is overuse and no real damage. I thinks she may have to look at her sports and make a change.

Nov 3, 2012
My DD who is a pitcher is having trouble with this too. She going to be a freshman and her HS team has summer volleyball practice 3 days a week (two days they practice for 3 hours). Last week her shoulder was sore and this morning she wakes up with lower back pain and can't even play in her game. I'm contributing this to the tough 3 hour volleyball conditioning work out yesterday. Ugggggh. This volleyball and softball is going to be a tough balancing act. I see the difficulity of the multi-sports thing is that the coaches own the kids for the whole year. Of course the summer work-out is voluntary, but its really not if you know what I mean.

It does clarify one thing, DD was also thinking of playing basketball as she loved playing that too. Were going to use those winter months to rest the body and recuperate. 2 sports is difficult and 3 is imppossible. I played 3 sports back in the day with no problem and never got injured.

Sep 17, 2009
My DD, an outside hitter, started varsity volleyball camp this week. Last practice, she couldn't throw. Plays third base, will tough it out come game time....

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD never played super competitive travel volleyball because of the scheduling conflicts with softball, but I will say that she could HAMMER a serve! Unfortunately for us, volleyball and softball are both Fall sports in high school, so DD cannot do both...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd