volleyball and softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
I read somewhere that volleyball and pitching softball was not a good mix. Something about injuries. Now that volleyball is whining down is there any truth to that?

Thanks!

Palm up my friends!

Jan 28, 2013
I've heard that too. Something about intense volleyball causing microfractures in the arms that can
cause injuries when you start pitching because of fatigue points in the arms.

At the older ages, I don't think the teams allow pitchers to play travel volleyball but other positions can.
We've seen more injuries from basketball though, from broken fingers and ankle sprains.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
IMO, a recipe for trouble unless there are distinct periods when the shoulder gets to recover. Also, if playing VB (or basketball or soccer or....) make sure that they are doing ACL prevention training!

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
sbcowboy - thanks for posting this question.

Does anyone have clinical or scientific proof? I also wonder if there are other sports or activities that would not be an optimal combo0. When thinking about doing other sports for fun or to engage different muscle groups I have not even considered the potential for issues. .......other than the denying the repeated request to go to Sky High (indoor wall-to-wall trampoline-palooza)

Jan 28, 2013
This article:
Subsequent Injury Patterns in Girls' High School Sports

is not directly showing proof, but it shows that softball and volleyball are both sports that have the same type of injuries at the same location:
"Softball and volleyball, sports that require active use of the upper extremity, had the highest proportion of upper extremity reinjury, particularly at the shoulder"
So it seems reasonable to not pay sports where the most common injury (and recurring injury) is at the same body location.

Likewise, "The proportion of lower leg reinjury was highest in basketball and volleyball, 2 sports that are played on a hard surface. This result suggests that surface type may play a role in subsequent lower leg injuries" So I wouldn't play both basketball and volleyball at highly competitive levels.

In general, mix the muscle groups and surface ideally (but obviously you can't pick what activities people like)

Jan 24, 2009
I read somewhere that volleyball and pitching softball was not a good mix. Something about injuries. Now that volleyball is whining down is there any truth to that?

Thanks!

Palm up my friends!

I see what you did there cowboy.

Aside from the injury angle, softball and volleyball are a terrible misfit as far as schedules go, at least in my neck of the midwest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet