videos of games/stats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Hypothetical situation:)
Say you have a high def camera and tape every game. Your team posts your stats online and they are way off. If your daughter was getting hits and they weren't recorded, or others striking out and they weren't recorded or getting hits for drop 3rd strikes etc..., would you do anything if you had indisputable video proof (in 1080P LOL)?

JohnnyO

Began this habit in 1980
May 13, 2015
Midwest
maybe the actual book keeper doesn't know the difference, I've seen way to many ugly score books over the years when checking the others teams book with an ump or if I'm gone and someone that knows the game wants to do the book. No thanks. You could maybe send your coach a clip or two of your daughter and maybe one of another kid that got jipped of positive stats and ask for their interpretation of the event. By finding others it's not all about your kid. Be aware you may find yourself with a book keeping job.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Hypothetical situation:)
Say you have a high def camera and tape every game. Your team posts your stats online and they are way off. If your daughter was getting hits and they weren't recorded, or others striking out and they weren't recorded or getting hits for drop 3rd strikes etc..., would you do anything if you had indisputable video proof (in 1080P LOL)?

Resist the temptation. A good coach looks at skills because numbers can lie or be fudged. Scorebooks will accurately indicate who won or lost, but, depending on the scorekeeper's competency and/or agenda, may not accurately reflect how the game was actually played. IMO, obviously deviant scorekeeping should be added to the list of things that you don't really want to call attention to - nothing good comes of it at best and at worst you could be getting fitted for a new pair of cement shoes.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Resist the temptation. A good coach looks at skills because numbers can lie or be fudged. Scorebooks will accurately indicate who won or lost, but, depending on the scorekeeper's competency and/or agenda, may not accurately how the game was actually played. IMO, obviously deviant scorekeeping should be added to the list of things that you don't really want to call attention to - nothing good comes of it at best and at worst you could be getting fitted for a new pair of cement shoes.
Thanks Greenmonsters....can I close this thread?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Aug 5, 2015
I dunno, if it's more than the occasional screw up something might have to be done. Eye tests are great and all but numbers shouldn't lie.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I go to every one of DD's game. So, when I read the paper the next day it makes me believe that I wasn't at the same game. Most players know and most parents know what happened and what's going on. At this point, I don't care. I would let it go. College is new start.....:p

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I dunno, if it's more than the occasional screw up something might have to be done. Eye tests are great and all but numbers shouldn't lie.

Based on IML's description, someone is padding the stats for certain players. Assuming an experienced coach who has been around the game, this doesn't happen without their knowledge. If you raise the issue with the coach, what do you think is going to happen?

IMO, HS numbers are most significant for individual honors and recognition. In TB #s don't mean a whole lot without knowing the specific quality of the teams and/or individuals played against (or with). Additionally, the competency of official scorekeepers is highly variable. Even with the knowledgeable fanatics making up DFP, how many do you think have read and understand official scoring guidelines and apply them consistently? IMO/IME, this issue lessens but doesn't disappear when they play in college.

Sep 26, 2011
Guess it comes down to who's keeping the book. My daughter is a freshman playing JV but has dressed for Varsity as the backup pitcher. She did the book for 3 games.

Never did the book before and was very proud of how well she did. Pretty easy when your pitcher has 15 Ks and only gives up 2 legit hits.

Yeah she'll be playing JV for a couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13