Videoing Games? I got booted.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
While I don't think you should have been tossed, I can understand why this particular umpire tossed you when making the comment about "liking power". In fact, at that point I would have been surprised if you were not tossed. JAD makes a good point about umpires. We played in a local event near the end of the summer. A girl from the other team was taking a long lead off third. Catcher did quick throw back to our pitcher who turned and walked towards back of circle. Runner turned and slowly walked back to third without watching pitcher. Pitcher threw to 3B who tug out runner approximately 3 feet away from bag. Umpire called her safe, which immediately resulted in one of our parents (third base side) getting a little vocal. I walked out and talked to the umpire about the call, but he had his mind made up. We were up by 5 or 6 and really in no danger of giving it up, so I didn't bother pursuing the discussion, and dropped it. That night, one of our moms posted a picture on facebook showing very clearly our 3B tagging the runner while she was still 3 feet off the base. One of the other umpires at the event reached out to the mom's husband asking him to remove the picture. In general I think most umpires try to do their best with calls. Some are simply better at it than others. And just like everyone else, I doubt they enjoy having their mistakes publicized.

Jun 12, 2015
We've been recording games for 2 years. The only issue we ever had was when a player ran over my DD at 1B to get an obstruction call and I posted the video of it. The runner overer's dad was none too thrilled. I took it down when he asked me to, though I did not have to (and maybe shouldn't have, considering he led with threats to sue, which were more amusing than scary). But as far as umpires go, never. Sounds like a power trip issue. Also sounds like maybe you learned how not to handle umpires with fragile egos. Next time I'd find the tourney director. Or just take it down. It's just one game.

Dec 11, 2010
Bad umpires worry way too much about things that go on outside of the fence.

Bad umpires regularly respond to things that go on outside of the fence.

Bad umpires stoke the flames by regularly reacting to things going on outside of the fence.

Bad umpires want to be part of the show and want to be noticed. They are GRANDSTANDING and it causes problems.

There are absolutely, 100% times that umpires have to deal with "outside the fence" issues. Those times are rare and usually it should be done though means other than talking through the fence.

When you put on a uniform, when you are an authority figure, you will be a target of vocal criticism. Being right or wrong often doesn't have a lot to do with how much you will be criticized. How you deal with the baloney has a lot to do with how much more Drama occurs. Nobody needs drama.

Step one for all people who wear a uniform and enforce rules? Know the rules! Or get really good at dealing with upset people. But trust that no matter what you do, right or wrong, you will be criticized. Trust you will be videotaped. It's 2017 and that is what happens. If you can't figure out a way to deal with it you should not be in a uniform.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
That night, one of our moms posted a picture on facebook showing very clearly our 3B tagging the runner while she was still 3 feet off the base. One of the other umpires at the event reached out to the mom's husband asking him to remove the picture. In general I think most umpires try to do their best with calls. Some are simply better at it than others. And just like everyone else, I doubt they enjoy having their mistakes publicized.

I get what you are saying. That play might be the most missed call in fastpitch with a two ump crew. And it is frustrating because it can be an important play that changes the outcome. That sucks, been there many times.

But... this is also a great example of what not to do by a parent with video of a "bad call". "We would have won but...". That should help the team next time, lol! I would NEVER do that unless I think the call was somehow malicious.

Also a perfect example of what not to do by an umpire. Really? It was so important to him that he called? Because his poor, poor umpire was wrong and he doesn't want him to feel bad? Or he doesn't like it that his umpire was wrong?

Humans make mistakes. Owning them are the best way to deal with them. Don't call and whine about it, don't make excuses. "Gosh we missed that one. And it was a big one, sorry for your luck." Or "I know it looks like there was a tag in the video, but I talked to the umpire and he swears he saw daylight between the tag and the runner. I gotta support his call even though it looks like the runner was out." Move on.

MLB with replay is a great illustration of this. Accuracy is all about angles- sometimes the call looks so obvious but when you see the third camera angle of the same play, what you think you saw isn't what happened. Umpiring isn't easy and I always try to remember that- I bet the parent who posted the video either has never done it or has forgotten just how hard it is.

Last edited:

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
We have a "no post until the weekend" rule. We also now post privately. YouTube videos are unlisted and Facebook is only for friends to protect the privacy of those who may not want their kids posted online (even though most of these kids have a larger online presence than us). These rules prevent many post game arguments between other teams and officials.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I get what you are saying. That play might be the most missed call in fastpitch with a two ump crew. And it is frustrating because it can be an important play that changes the outcome. That sucks, been there many times.

But... this is also a great example of what not to do by a parent with video of a "bad call". "We would have won but...". That should help the team next time, lol! I would NEVER do that unless I think the call was somehow malicious.

Also a perfect example of what not to do by an umpire. Really? It was so important to him that he called? Because his poor, poor umpire was wrong and he doesn't want him to feel bad? Or he doesn't like it that his umpire was wrong?

Humans make mistakes. Owning them are the best way to deal with them. Don't call and whine about it, don't make excuses. "Gosh we missed that one. And it was a big one, sorry for your luck." Or "I know it looks like there was a tag in the video, but I talked to the umpire and he swears he saw daylight between the tag and the runner. I gotta support his call even though it looks like the runner was out." Move on.

MLB with replay is a great illustration of this. Accuracy is all about angles- sometimes the call looks so obvious but when you see the third camera angle of the same play, what you think you saw isn't what happened. Umpiring isn't easy and I always try to remember that- I bet the parent who posted the video either has never done it or has forgotten just how hard it is.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. We won the game, easily... I think the mom posted it more as a joke or a "are you kidding me?" type moment. She removed it after the other umpire called. Personally, I am rarely on facebook. I have an account, and hop on once in a while, but rarely post anything. Just not of fan...

Dec 11, 2010
Sorry I assumed some things- I shouldn't do that.

Know what you mean about FB- the misinformation drives me nuts as well.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
#UmpShow

Yeah, your mouthing off may have warranted the ejection, but this guy was looking to exercise the small bit of authority he has in life. He found a target, and you took the bait.

It's important to be able to recognize the umpires who want to make a game for kids all about themselves. They really are rare, in my experience (I think just one out of about two dozen from this year). A bad umpire you can talk to. An umpire who wants to show just how big and tough he is? Nah. Not worth bothering with the Joe Wests and Bob Davidsons of the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00