Video of daughter pitching - would like someone to critique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2009
YouTube - 12 year old Pitching video

I have never posted a video before so I hope I did it right. I just pasted the URL in the message. This is the only video that I have of her so far, but I will take some side very soon. She is 12 years old in the video and wondered what you thought she needs to work on?? Thanks.

Elizabeth

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She needs to get stronger and pick up some speed. I would work on strengthening her overhand throw. It is my contention that you can't pitch harder than you can throw.

I know I am talking more game prep than pitching, but I would also have her take charge and grab things like that little pop up that the catcher had to handle.

Her timing is off a little bit and I would have her quit hitting her hip. It isn't adding to her pitching.

Kudos for wearing the mask. I like that!

Aug 2, 2008
Hard for me to tell alot from the angle but I will offer this. She seems to be bent over at the waist a little much at release, stand tall as you release the ball. At release her hips are closed to much IMO, and her shoulders are closed even more, almost totally facing the catcher. I think the more open the better. The glove arm swims out a bit but I have seen alot of elite pitchers doing the same thing. She does a great job producing weak hits, and seems to hit her spots well. That catcher looks good to, would like to see her leave her helmet on though. Looking good.

Mike

Jan 20, 2010
Your dd needs to work on getting open more and getting here weight back over her back leg more. From the pic. she is more forward than back. Should be the other way around. Think about hitting, you wouldn t hit a ball standing on your front leg, you should hit against your front leg. Watch vids posted on here of elite pitchers and try to do the same things. Doing your drills with your weight on back leg only will help with this.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
She looks like she is getting a lot of outs. That is always good.

Velocity seems relatively slow as if she is trying to keep it in the strike zone with more of an underhand push that a real whip.

What is her goal for pitching? Do you know her current velocity in mph? Does she throw high when she tries to throw harder?

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
What is her goal for pitching? Do you know her current velocity in mph? Does she throw high when she tries to throw harder?
Elizabeth......How's your DD been feeling lately?........

:) I see your point Boardmember. My questions did come off kind of wierd. I was asking because she looks like she is doing pretty well based on the context of the video. In just 4 posts there was so much advice to sort through between weight back, arm swimming, bent over, get stronger, timing off, too closed...the more open the better, that I was just curious as to what the goal of this pitcher and parent was. She is looking like she is having a good time and in just 4 posts that's a lot of advice to try to sort through and implement. I was thinking maybe she should just pitch for a while until she has a more specific concern such as speed or control. But I do hope she is feeling well...

May 24, 2009
My daughter does seem to be guiding the ball for a strike. When not in a game she pitches alot faster. Probably between 48-52 MPH. During tournaments she is more like 45-48 MPH.She does throw high often because for some reason she has gotten in the habit of lifting her shoulder at the release. She knows that she is doing it but cannot break the habit. As far as her goals she definately wants to pitch in high school and hopefully college.

Elizabeth

Jul 14, 2008
Liz.......the reason I asked you how your daughter was feeling lately.........is because I'm not sure if you noticed it or not, but she's "throwing up" a lot..........I was hoping someone would "catch" the ironic humor in my question........

At this age, there are several issues that cause the ball to be up in the zone to often.......

1.) The catcher is unusually far back in the catchers box. The result is the pitcher having to throw the ball a bit higher as she feels the need to "reach her catcher".

2.) Her snap is a bit out in front. I would encourage her to "snap down" a bit more through the through release. She seems to "snap up" a bit to much causing the ball to get up into the "wheel house" a little to often.........

3.) You can help by making sure in practice, you (or who ever is catching) are "all over the plate" when catching her to encourage her that its OK to keep the ball down without worrying about short-hopping and pounding her catcher.......

Those are my 2 cents........

My advise is free, so consider it for what its worth..........

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves