Video Critique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1) She pulls her right foot toward her body after release and then doing a strange "twist" after release. I suspect someone told her to get into her finish position, but it is not helping her pitching. Kind of strange.
2) Her arm swim makes the "leg slap with glove" a waste of motion. She is slapping the outside of her right leg...she is supposed to be slapping the inside of right leg. She is getting adduction, but it is in the wrong plane.
3) I'm not sure she has brush interference (BI). Is her left arm brushing her left hip prior to release?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Twenty20ticker.jpg

While there are several things one could work on, high on the list for me is that she's not getting the arm-whip she has the potential to get. Look at the snapshot above. Her arm is too straight for where it is at. She's robbing herself of some arm-whip, thus some velocity.

Below is an example of what I think is closer to optimal--some bend in the arm such that the upper arm meets the side of the rib cage while the arm is still bent.

just after 9.jpgaround 7.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I second Doug's advice. Learn to whip and check out javasource's 2 step drive sequence. There's magic in it and it really creates an efficient trickle effect in the overall motion that so many overlook. It's free, a sticky and so easy (unlike really reading the whole thread--I still find something seemingly new every time I read it!!!)

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
For me the glove swimming so far to the right gets the glove behind the shoulder and prohibits her shoulders from opening more in line with home and second as they should be when her arm is at the eleven o'clock position. Because of the excessive glove swim she can not get her shoulders in anything other than a 45 degree angle which is pretty much the angle you want at release which takes away from the sequencing of opening and closing through the motion. I think if you work towards the glove whirl that Rick Pauly describes you will see improvement.

Sep 29, 2014
A lot more going right here than wrong.

The swim looks bad and it does seem like it is messing with her angle a little but I would not get overly worried about it. Find the Pauly whirl thread/video and digest.

Her hop back with the plant foot is not a huge deal in my book because she is coming back and not forward, you have to be getting pretty good resistance to be able to go back versus walk through or hop forward which is what you usually see.

As far as whip from what I see she has arm bend 12 oclock through about 8 oclock and IR at and through release...would seem strange that she is losing it 8 to 6 but video does not seem to lie although higher quality video would help, it's all a blurrrrr.

As far as head up I would not mess with it again it is a little more exaggerated than usual but so much else is going right and up is better than down her posture and balance look good.

Maybe step back just a little on a view from behind it's a little hard to see how everything lines up looks like camera is of to the left and maybe she is off to the right, would be nice to see straight back so I could see everything related to power line.

Honestly there is so much going right here I would not make any wholesale changes. Wanting better angles and high speed video just lets you know it's down to small adjustments.

Here is the glove whirl video

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32