Varsity is a good thing, right??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am a firm believer that 'playing time' is better than 'bench time', so I think your DD would be best served in the situation where she will get to play - especially if she is a pitcher! The problem with JV ball is that a lot of areas struggle to field a solid varsity team, so the JV teams level is one step above rec ball......if your DD is pitching JV, use it as a time to develop new pitches.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Congrats on your daughter making varsity. Remind her when she does get to to play to make the most of it and show what she can do.

Now, a word of warning. If and when your daughter takes an upper classmens position, be prepared for a lot of back biting from the older girls as well as bitchy parents of the older girl. My daughter made varsity as a freshman on a team that was loaded with older talent. She was fighting with 3 other senior girls for a starting spot and it took her until the 4th game of the season to actually get a chance to play. When she did get the chance she showed what she could do and earned the starting spot. Immediatly the back biting from the 3 older girls started as well as the constant complaining from their parents in the stands saying she didnt deserve to be playing. The kid carried the second highest batting average on the team, they made it to the 3rd round of state playoffs and we still had to listen to parents complaining about she didnt deserve a starting spot.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
We went through the same thing this past fall (HS season is in the fall here). DD was one of two freshmen who made varsity. DD is a pitcher, so her world got somewhat rocked early on. DD's team is in a very tough conference so she faced some formidable 18 Gold quality batters. By the end, she did rise to the occasion and it all turned out better than I thought it would.

One little parenting issue - the seniors on her team were wonderful; incredibly supportive, kind, funny and encouraging. They genuinely liked DD as she has a very funny side to her and loves to laugh. We've had a few occasions now where the juniors and seniors have shown up to our house on weekend nights to invite DD out with them. I've had to quickly assess situations and make parenting decisions before I thought I'd have to. I figured I had a good year or so before I had to start waiting up on Friday nights! I've made a point of getting to know the older girls and their parents; I've also given DD a curfew that I feel is appropriate for her age and my sanity.

Good luck this season - and congratulations! It's always nice to have outside validation of your DD's skills :)

My DD had a similar experience last year. She was one of 2 freshman to start on Varsity. The senior she played in front of couldn't be nicer. She and the sr Catcher gave DD rides to and from practice and really became good friends. They invited her to their graduation parties and come back to see the team play and have lunch with my DD. It depends on the environment and the culture the coach fosters. Her coach made it very clear the best players play. DD led the team in BA and OBP as a freshman and made All Conference. She was elected team captain as a sophomore and made All Conference again, so has the physical skills, I was very worried about the social aspects of being on Varsity. Due to having fantastic young ladies as upper classmen, she had a great experience.

Sep 14, 2011
Well DD had her first game as a varsity player yesterday. She started at 3rd and even batted third in the lineup. She handled herself with alot of confidence on defense and made the plays she should have. At the plate she was not over matched, but did not have a good day. I think my worries have been relieved, she will play alot and grow alot this year.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild