Utility Player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2012
DD is being used as a utility player on TB team. She is doing ok but not super. She is fielding really well in whatever position she is playing but is not consistently making outs. Utility seems to be a difficult position to play because just bouncing position to position and never get good or comfortable at one spot. Team only practices 2x/week. Any recommendations on how to help DD with utility position? All infield positions except catcher and also rotates to outfield.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You need to work on imaginary situations. Explain what the situation is in the game, where the runners are, etc. before you hit the ball to her. What is she going to do before the ball is hit to her? Not easy when your DD is playing everywhere.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
I suggest you ask her where and/or what she feels she needs work on. What position does she dread going to and why....is it because she feels she is weak at the required skill for that position or is it a lack of confidence on "how to play the position".

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
DD is being used as a utility player on TB team. She is doing ok but not super. She is fielding really well in whatever position she is playing but is not consistently making outs. Utility seems to be a difficult position to play because just bouncing position to position and never get good or comfortable at one spot. Team only practices 2x/week. Any recommendations on how to help DD with utility position? All infield positions except catcher and also rotates to outfield.

Can you please explain fielding really well but not making outs. Is she not sure what to do situationally in different spots so she is throwing to the wrong bases, or hesitating before throwing? Or is she not throwing accurately from some of the positions. Last year my dd played in a few spots and occasionally she would not be sharp on her base coverage responsibilities. For instance when she was at SS she would not immediately know when she should cover 3rd.

Apr 11, 2012
Main issue is when playing corners. Some uncertainty situationally such as not playing up at right time when playing corners (bunt & slap coverage depending on count/outs/runners/score) so not getting to ball soon enough to make out. She just looks a little unsure. Made 3 nice backhand plays at 3rd but only one was timely to get out. Throws were accurate but not quick enough. At practice has only gone over situations in OF and 2B. Only taken grounders at 1B & 3B. Regular positions before this season pitcher & 2B so pretty comfortable there. Never played 3B before and last played SS 3 years ago & that was not a regular position. I guess it is not practicing a position to the point it is just instinctual. Coach expects her to know when never taught or practiced or if told once, should be automatic. Shouldn't have to tell her again. I'm worried about her confidence. 12u by the way. I'm not opposed to utility position. I think it is great to learn multiple positions. Just realizing how hard it is and want to help her. Wondering what others did to help DD's when used as utility players.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
In these situations I would ask her about the play, and then ask her how it could have gone better. If she knows, I reinforce the concept and ask her if she knows how to recognize this situation. If yes reinforce, if no help her learn the cues she needs to take to prepare for the play. If she doesn't know how the entire play could have gone better I will talk with her about the play, what should happen and how it should happen.

This is not a one time conversation, a coach should never expect a player to do something in a game they never practiced. Like I said my dd was "forced" into playing short for about 6 games last year, she has all the tools to play the spot but since she is left handed it is not something she has done a lot since she was 11 (she is now 15) so she had a couple of rough patches but she had a coach who understood she was in a new and uncomfortable situation and he helped her make the best of it. This is what all coaches should do with utility players, make sure they are supported when they are in a spot they have not practiced.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
There are many, many, many coaches who do this. I don't understand how they can expect a player to just jump in and play a position they have never even practiced. I have seen this happen too many times, heck even in the outfield, moving from left to right field can be difficult. The ball comes off the bat different, the spin of the ball is different, the strategy is different. But a coach will move a player into right field and expect her to perform. Bla, sorry for ranting, but I'm still seeing it done today (and no not my DD), but seeing a player mis-play a flyball in right, and getting hammered by the coach when all she has practiced is left field... Ugh

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Sounds to me like this coach is doing your DD a disservice. Corner infield positions are NOT (IMHO) positions that anyone can simply step in and play comfortably. I know mine can't (and she would agree). With the speed of the ball off the bat and the need for corners to be extra aggressive on bunt coverage most of the time, unfortunately I see an impending disaster. Best of luck to your DD - she's showing a great deal of fortitude to accept this role but I as a parent would want the coach to select an infield and outfield position (perhaps 2 of each) and have DD practice those only.

Dec 29, 2011
Tempe, Az
Sounds to me like this coach is doing your DD a disservice. Corner infield positions are NOT (IMHO) positions that anyone can simply step in and play comfortably. I know mine can't (and she would agree). With the speed of the ball off the bat and the need for corners to be extra aggressive on bunt coverage most of the time, unfortunately I see an impending disaster. Best of luck to your DD - she's showing a great deal of fortitude to accept this role but I as a parent would want the coach to select an infield and outfield position (perhaps 2 of each) and have DD practice those only.

Id have to agree with SoCal it can be difficult to change outfield positions let alone infield and outfield. Some can thrive in the utility role but it is not very common. The one good is she might find a spot she really likes that she otherwise would not have tried.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1